View Poll Results: What window manager do you normally use on Knoppix?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • KDE

    16 76.19%
  • Icewm

    1 4.76%
  • Gnome

    0 0%
  • WindowMaker

    0 0%
  • Fluxbox

    3 14.29%
  • Xfce

    0 0%
  • Twm or Larswm

    0 0%
  • Bah! Don't need no gui. Textmode only!

    1 4.76%
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: KDE 3.1 + Windowmanager Poll

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79

    KDE 3.1 + Windowmanager Poll

    Am I the only one that was eagerly awaiting the release of KDE 3.1???

    The only news of its offical release I've seen so far is on Freshmeat and an unoffical one at OSNews.

    Anyway here are some screenshots for those who might be curious
    http://www.kde.org/screenshots/kde310shots.html

    Knoppix and KDE 3.1 will make an awesome combo. Woohoo!

    rob

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    More screenshots :
    http://promo.kde.org/3.1/screenshots.php
    and a *great* kde feature guide :
    http://promo.kde.org/3.1/feature_guide.php

    Yes knoppix with kde 3.1 will rock! I am remastering one now, there are not .debs for sid yet, and the woody ones dont work properly on sid ( really only sound thats the problem )

  3. #3
    eviscerate
    Guest
    When I add the KDE 3.1 apt source, it wants to remove almost all of the KDE packages when doing apt-get -s dist-upgrade. This is on the latest version of Knoppix - Jan 20, I think. I have downgraded gcc to version 2.95.4 from 3.21, what else do I need to do in order to upgrade. Thanks.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    49
    While I think KDE is beautiful, and it is one of Linux's strongest selling points for converts it is not for me. I am not into eye candy sucking up my memory. I love the simplicity and use efficiency of a tight window manager, and tabs rock.
    Honestly, I avoid Qt based apps because of their overhead.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    79
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    While I think KDE is beautiful, and it is one of Linux's strongest selling points for converts it is not for me. I am not into eye candy sucking up my memory. I love the simplicity and use efficiency of a tight window manager, and tabs rock.
    Honestly, I avoid Qt based apps because of their overhead.
    Have you setup Knoppix to boot into another WM? Do you normally use a fluxbox/mozilla arrangement or something faster?

    I've found since handing out Knoppix CDs to friends the eye candy makes the biggest impact. KDE 3.1 will be even more impressive in that department.

    The other thing I was curious about was how many people simply hit enter or just let Knoppix boot into the default desktop.

    Years ago on a P75 WindowMaker was my everyday WM alternating periodically with Icewm. (There was no Blackbox or Fluxbox then)

    But now when I boot Knoppix it's always with the KDE desktop. My HD Linux is another matter. Rox-Filer + Icewm is still my favourite combo for speed and lazyness

    Cheers
    rob

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    49
    Yeah, I did a 209M remaster that boots right into Fluxbox. I used Phoenix because it is a smaller package than Mozilla. If I were less concerned with room and more concerned with speed I think I'd use Skipstone instead -- it uses less memory.

    As far as using Knoppix to convert people to Linux, I have had no success. I think most people are stuck in their ways.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    18

    windows managers

    Absolutely the best part of Linux is that NOT one size fits all. Everyone can get what they need, or what each of us thinks we need, no matter if that is pseudo-Win, minimalist or something else. No one has to accept what someone on high thinks is "best." I can choose among a large number of kernels. And some pretty good software. Knoppix is not perfect, but I really enjoy using it. To assemble such a package, decisions have to be made. With a Linux package, I can adjust the decisions so that the system changes into what I actually need.

    Certainly, the differences in windows managers reflects this freedom.

    My goodness, when I run M$, I can have any wallpaper I choose! Big difference!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Right now I'm using KDE3 default. I tried some of the other WMs but I'm too new to get my HDs mounted so I can grab some wallpaper. KDE3 has the HDs right on the desktop at startup. When I get more Linux knowlege, I'll try out some of the others. My older PPro200 SMP box would appreciate the recuced code. However, while running SMP, KDE3 doesn't seem to slow me down too much as I have the equivalent of a PII 360 now.

    As for converting windoze slaves to Linux, it's a tough row to hoe. My geekiest friend stubbornly won't even consider it. He says he likes XPpro and IE6 and he simply won't run any thing else on his box.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    13
    Would anyone care to comment on the merits of the other window managers available on the Knoppix CD? I've tried them all*, but only briefly. So far, I haven't seen anything that encouraged me to wean myself away from KDE.

    Coming from Windows, I find KDE comfortably familiar, but I don't doubt that it suffers from bloat. I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts in Windows, and I'd like to be able to do the same thing in Knoppix. For instance, KDE's K menu does not support initial-leter navigation. Are there any window managers that provide this sort of keyboard access?


    *For some reason, I can't get Knoppix to use Gnome, but I was able to try Gnome with the heavy gui version of Morphix.

Similar Threads

  1. No Windowmanager
    By DeepThought in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 02:59 PM
  2. remaster, change windowmanager?
    By brad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 02:18 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 08:11 PM
  4. Adding another windowmanager
    By hugo in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 05:48 PM
  5. DVD Knoppix Poll
    By Rixel in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 09:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Samsung 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz picture

Samsung 2 x 8GB DDR4 RAM 3200 MHz

$59.99