Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: SETI@Home

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14

    SETI@Home

    Trying to install Seti to Knoppix. Got Knoppix on the HD. When saving to my /home directory, the Copy Files progress window hangs for a long time, then I get an error:

    Access denied
    Could not write to /home/setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.part

    I saw some SETI questions when I did a search but they seemed to be more 'off the live disc'-related.

    Anyone with experience in SETI/Knoppix?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: SETI@Home

    Quote Originally Posted by dmedici
    Trying to install Seti to Knoppix. Got Knoppix on the HD. When saving to my /home directory, the Copy Files progress window hangs for a long time, then I get an error:

    Access denied
    Could not write to /home/setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.part

    I saw some SETI questions when I did a search but they seemed to be more 'off the live disc'-related.

    Anyone with experience in SETI/Knoppix?

    Thanks in advance!


    It runs all day long on my computer. How are you trying to copy it looks like there is a permission error and it is trying to write to the actual /home directory instead of /home/user_name directory try saving it in there.

    [edit]
    BTW I moved this to the Lounge this is not really Knoppix related.
    [/edit]

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    14
    Thanks for your quick reply!

    Can you elaborate a little more on the home/username directory?
    I'm reading as fast as I can but I'm still confused on the directory layouts. Can you give me the exact path or roughly the path to where you put your files?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by dmedici
    Thanks for your quick reply!

    Can you elaborate a little more on the home/username directory?
    I'm reading as fast as I can but I'm still confused on the directory layouts. Can you give me the exact path or roughly the path to where you put your files?
    What is called your home directory is actually a sub-directory in /home for example mine would be /home/stephen and if I saved the seti file to my home the path would be /home/stephen/seti_file.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    I included seti@home, folding@home, and prime-net distributed computing clients in my reasmter, Overclockix. There are also several scripts so that you can run one-word commands to start/stop, switch user information, and view progress of these clients.

Similar Threads

  1. SETI@Home Installation Problems
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 07:30 AM
  2. Seti at home
    By turbines in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 01:26 AM
  3. Include SETI@Home
    By monkeyman in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 03:02 AM
  4. add seti@home or distributed.net client
    By kbreen in forum Ideas
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-25-2003, 02:55 AM
  5. SETI@Home on KNOPPIX
    By webpromo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2003, 11:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$100.00



WICO Computer Command Apple II Analog Joystick Adaptor NOS 72-4525 picture

WICO Computer Command Apple II Analog Joystick Adaptor NOS 72-4525

$59.99



Rare Vintage CH Product Mach III Analog Joystick for Apple Mac picture

Rare Vintage CH Product Mach III Analog Joystick for Apple Mac

$35.00



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67