Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Super Noob Friendly Knoppix

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8

    Super Noob Friendly Knoppix

    **EDIT**: I was browsing the forum and I came across this..
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=791 Well I guess this post is useless now.
    I'm a lazy bum + I don't have enough RAM and stuff on my computer to do a remaster.
    I'm suggesting a remaster for linux noobs A.K.A. Windows dummies. I have the original Knoppix and I've attempted to convert my friends but most were too stubborn and turned away because of silly little reasons.
    "Oh the startbar is different, I won't use it" etc.
    I was frustrated but I found out XPDE www.xpde.com which imitates the Windows environment 90%... I'm sure this is the key to converting them. Give them a familiar environment, then they'll talk.
    My focus on converting them is multimedia stuff. I myself is too very new to Linux but I think GIMP is a must, and GAIM and probably open-office. That's what they usually use computers for. If it is possibly WineX could be included too but I don't know what license it's under.
    Thanks for listening to a lazy bum

    PS: Scripts for connecting to the internet is also what they need. They use the internet very often, might include a PPPOE connection tool.

    EDIT: I've been on distrowatch and noticed some distros that are bootable on CD aren't necessarily debian based. Is there a way you can make Lycoris do so? It's similar to XP desktop too. Hope I'm not asking too much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    611
    As far as I know, other live CD's are usually not graphical like knoppix is. Suse's live CD is I thnk, but Gentoo's is not for example.

    XPDE would be nice to see, even if a lot of linux users don't like the look and feel of Windows. It's not like there aren't 5 or 6 other windows managers they could use if they prefer not to have an XPDE option. BUt having the option can help bring more users into the light that is linux, where they can dip there toes in the pool before decided to take that first step or plunge.

    I already offered to help, but I may not have the skill to implement a new window manager so much as make the existing ones have windwos themes (KDE and ICEWM anyway...)

    I do have a support forum for my own remaster which I am willing to share and a little space to host the file. I can also add some of my own touches if the person who makes this does not mind such as adding some drivers and small but critical (in my mind) apps.

Similar Threads

  1. Super Noob - Connecting to WiFi Router with laptop!
    By Deagle123 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 05:16 PM
  2. Knoppix friendly pc-card wlan adapter
    By BFD in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2004, 03:08 PM
  3. Knoppix should be develop more user-friendly
    By simon_lim88 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-26-2003, 09:04 PM
  4. Any NTFS friendly distro?
    By hatch821 in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-30-2003, 10:40 PM
  5. printer friendly
    By senorian in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2003, 01:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL60 DL80 Gen9 (U15) U15_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL160 DL180 Gen9 (U20) U20_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$37.99



New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM picture

New Samsung DUO Plus 32GB USB 3.1 USB-C Flash Drive Gray MUF-32DB/AM

$19.95



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant DL380/DL360 Gen9 (P89) P89_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99



Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4 picture

Critical BIOS ROM HPE ProLiant BL460cWS46 Gen9 (I36) I36_3.40_08_29_2024+iLO4

$7.99