@dave
OK, thanks for that, I'll do as you say and change my
fs to ext3 for now and next install I use reiserfs, sounds like quite
an improvement.
o ext2 = Default filesystem for Linux, good for small filesystems like /boot and such, has been superseded by Journalling filesystems such as reiserfs, ext3, jfs, xfs. Can lose data if machine loses power, and bootup fsck can take quite some time.
o ext3 = Journalled ext2. See this article for more:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ary/l-fs7.html
o Reiserfs = Journalling filesystem from the ground up. With default mount options, saves space by putting small files (and parts of files that would otherwise take up an entire cluster - otherwise known as tails) together. With mount option ' notail ' speeds up significantly. (I've been using reiserfs ever since suse included it as an install option - 6.x, IIRC.)
--You can find other articles on journalling filesystems by googling. (The above article was found by searching for "benefits of ext3".)
--In your situation, making your ext2 filesystem into ext3 is as simple as ' tune2fs -j /dev/blah ' and changing the /etc/fstab entry from ext2 to ext3. If you do a complete reinstall though, I recommend reiserfs.
Originally Posted by MemMaker
@dave
OK, thanks for that, I'll do as you say and change my
fs to ext3 for now and next install I use reiserfs, sounds like quite
an improvement.
samba shows devices ie your hdd as though they were files
this is why you get theese results from the windows box

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99