Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Someone PLEASE help me with this!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19

    Someone PLEASE help me with this!

    Hello everyone

    When I try to install grub with grub-installer /dev/hda

    it tells me that the file system is read only. I am running it from a live cd! so of course it's read-only!!! What exact command must I type so I can use the grub thing correctly....

    I am just lost....

    My goal is to boot between linux and windows xp everytime I start without using any floppy (I don't have a floppy drive.) Can someone help me achieve that goal.

    (I tried reading the doucmentations on grub, the more I read the more confused i get)....

    I thought Linux was gonna be easy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    See your previous thread. BTW, why do you want to use Grub?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I can't help you because I don't have winxp but I think you should configure the winxp bootloader to start lilo which should be placed at the start of your linux partition, which will then start linux.

    If you set up a non-xp boot loader the least bit wrong you will NOT be able to boot into winxp, if that is NOT a problem then continue with grub or lilo or gag or ... but I would highly recommend that you search and find out how to set up the winxp bootloader.

    maybe this:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...002/09/3/30716
    and this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174#25106

    You will need to boot to your knoppix cd and then mount your linux hd partition read/write, and then cd to your root directory of your linux install, and then chroot to that directory, then you can get your bootloader going.

    ~rock

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19
    But I skipped the lilo to MBR part when I did hdinstall. So what do you mean by "winxp loader to start lilo??

    I'm sorry but I am really not familiar with these terms.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follow this procedure. It worked for me, to dual-boot WinXP and Knoppix.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE

$189.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive picture

HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive

$29.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99