I've been using linux on and off and to varying degrees since around Red Hat 5.1, but I still feel like I'm guessing when I choose partitions for a linux system. So I figured I'd run this by the forum and see what the feedback is on it:
I just did a hard drive install on my Micron TransPort XT laptop, which has 128 MB of RAM and a 10 GB drive (ample for my day-to-day needs, especially since I can save plenty of stuff onto the file server at home and burn CDs of things that need to go mobile with me).
To keep things simple, I chose to install knoppix-style instead of debian-style and set aside 90% of the drive for a primary partition, leaving just shy of a gig for swap with a roughly 7 MB partition of left-over space.
I basically use the laptop for the mundane tasks of email, browsing, office work, showing off knoppix to people I know (which often leads to them asking me for a knoppix CD, of which I tend to keep a few handy for this purpose), etc.
Any thoughts or recommendations? If someone manages to persuade me that a different scheme is better suited to healthy knoppix living, I have no problems making changes.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99
HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00
Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core 4750U 1.70 GHz 512 GB SSD 16 GB RAM Win11Pro
$240.00
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$189.99
Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99