o ext2 = Default filesystem for Linux, good for small filesystems like /boot and such, has been superseded by Journalling filesystems such as reiserfs, ext3, jfs, xfs. Can lose data if machine loses power, and bootup fsck can take quite some time.

o ext3 = Journalled ext2. See this article for more:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...ary/l-fs7.html

o Reiserfs = Journalling filesystem from the ground up. With default mount options, saves space by putting small files (and parts of files that would otherwise take up an entire cluster - otherwise known as tails) together. With mount option ' notail ' speeds up significantly. (I've been using reiserfs ever since suse included it as an install option - 6.x, IIRC.)

--You can find other articles on journalling filesystems by googling. (The above article was found by searching for "benefits of ext3".)

--In your situation, making your ext2 filesystem into ext3 is as simple as ' tune2fs -j /dev/blah ' and changing the /etc/fstab entry from ext2 to ext3. If you do a complete reinstall though, I recommend reiserfs.

Quote Originally Posted by MemMaker
@stephen
The by-foot-way is what I wanted to avoid. I thought there
could be an easier possibility, e.g. something like:
"purge all non-empty removed-package config-dir".
But thanks anyway.

@dave
yes, i am using ext2. What are the differences, between
reiserfs, ext2 & ext3..? what would you recommend?