--What in the world... Let me get this straight. You mounted your linux box's filesystem over **samba shares** and checked the disk space from WINDOWS

(sputter)
(speechless)


--I recommend finding a LUG (Linux Users Group) in your area as fast as possible, you've definitely been hanging around Windoze too long.

--Okay, just joking , enough teasing. To check disk space for a specific directory (if you use / , it will check the whole system) use du. ' man du '

--Typical syntax:
' du -s -h /usr ' == Summary of /usr, in human-readable format
' du --max-depth=2 /home ' == See usage of /home/user1, /home/user2...
' du -h --max-depth=1 / ' == See usage of each dir hanging off of root

--And as others have mentioned, use ' df ' for usage of mounted filesystems/partitions. It also accepts the ' -h ' flag.

Quote Originally Posted by MemMaker
Hi,
I am hoping to find a solution to the following problem:
after the knoppix hd install on a p133 with 96mb ram and
8gb scsi hdd and fiddling around with the apt-get upgrade options,
my linux system apparently (when i select all files on a windows box
over samba shares and rightclick for the filesize) takes up all of
the 8 gb of hdd-space I have. I only installed a few packages (apache2,
centericq, qwsv & ddclient).

1. Question: Can this be?
which linux command do I have to use find out about
the disk space usage?
2. is there a way to completely strip the
kde, xfree86, gnome, etc. GUI-stuff from debian/knoppix?

I am running this on a box which shall in the future run without
a monitor, so i won't use graphic intense applications, besides
of the missing cpu power..

Does anyone have some suggestions?