-
Newbie (How do I install Programs?)
Hi all. I am a newbie here so this is probably a super basic question.
I installed Knoppix 3.3 to my hard drive. I downloaded a few programs but I dont know how to install them. I unzipped the tar.gz files and I go the dir and there is and install.sh file, but it wont run.
Is there a basic way to install programs on here?
Any help would be appreciated.
thanks
JKL
-
Since knoppix is based on Debian, you can use apt-get:
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/sys...get-intro.html
Since the normal interface is not so easy to use (but once you know it, very fast), I recommend you to install synaptic:
open a konsole, type "su' to become root, and then type 'apt-get install synaptic' (if you get errors, you may try to type 'apt-get update' first).
afterwards you can run synaptic by just typing 'synaptic'.
A good guide about synaptic is:
http://articles.linmagau.org/modules...tid=389&page=1
It's a pretty easy program to install almost all other programs.
Similar Threads
-
By dominican2589 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 06-12-2005, 07:30 AM
-
By BlueGirl in forum Klik
Replies: 29
Last Post: 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM
-
By MikePerson in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 09:50 PM
-
By adamherb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 10
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 07:02 PM
-
By Zero_1984 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$128.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF Server (256GB NVME, 8GB RAM, i5-7500 @ 3.8Ghz)
$75.00

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version
$136.15

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99