Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Kernel compile problem - first Knoppix kernel compile

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Easton, PA
    Posts
    4

    Kernel compile problem - first Knoppix kernel compile

    I attempted to compile kernel 2.4.22 using the standard Debian kernel compile method. It appears that on the bootup the kernel is still picking up the modules from 2.4.20-xfs. Do I need to change one of my init scripts or am I foretting something? I have done several kernel compiles in Debian so I'm pretty experienced doing them. Do I need to do something different because it's Knoppix?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Kernel compile problem - first Knoppix kernel compile

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel_Tufnel
    I attempted to compile kernel 2.4.22 using the standard Debian kernel compile method. It appears that on the bootup the kernel is still picking up the modules from 2.4.20-xfs. Do I need to change one of my init scripts or am I foretting something? I have done several kernel compiles in Debian so I'm pretty experienced doing them. Do I need to do something different because it's Knoppix?
    Thanks in advance.
    By standard Debian method do you mean make-kpkg to make a kernel package? If so it should just work when you install the .deb and reboot. The only thing I could think of it would be doing is if you built with initrd and it is still using the old knoppix one.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Easton, PA
    Posts
    4
    I think I know what the problem is. After reading through the tips and tricks forum I found the thread started by rickenbacherus:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3029
    The step I didn't do:
    make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image modules

    *NOTE* adding the modules target to the above line is critical or your new kernel will fail to boot because the existing modules were compiled for 2.4.20xfs instead of 2.4.21 Also it eliminates making another kpkg and installing another kpkg.


    You normally don't have to do this for Debian. I'll recompile and let you know how it goes.
    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. How do I install kernel source and config/compile kernel??
    By cfish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 07:31 AM
  2. Problem with kernel 2.6.7 compile
    By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum General Support
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-26-2004, 04:04 AM
  3. knoppix 3.3 feb edition will not compile kernel
    By coindood in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 08:17 AM
  4. Kernel compile problem
    By Worm in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 07:42 PM
  5. gcc version used to compile Knoppix kernel?
    By thincritter in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00



1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails picture

1U Server Intel Xeon E3-1240 V5 3.5Ghz 4C 32GB RAM 2x M.2 2280 OCP RJ45 Rails

$310.00