Try dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb and that should let you install other applications.Originally Posted by lavaman094
Somehow I got a broken dependency....I thought apt wouldn't let that happen...but somehow I guess it did....so it says so "apt-get install -f"....and I did....and it says:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 80 not upgraded.
7 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/27.3kB of archives.
After unpacking 135kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
So here I am still stuck with this broken dependency. I can't run apt-get upgrade to upgrade any packages it seems until this is fixed....does anybody know what the problem is?
Try dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb and that should let you install other applications.Originally Posted by lavaman094
No luck:Try dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb and that should let you install other applications.
root@Harkonnen:~# dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
dpkg: error processing force-overwrite (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:
force-overwrite
libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
You would have to cd /var/cache/apt/archives/ first to be in the actual directory where the file is sorry should have been clearer in the instructions.Originally Posted by lavaman094
That, I also tried, but it errors:You would have to cd /var/cache/apt/archives/ first to be in the actual directory where the file is sorry should have been clearer in the instructions.
root@Harkonnen:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
dpkg: error processing force-overwrite (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
(Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Errors were encountered while processing:
force-overwrite
libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
That's weird check if the file is in the cache directory if not you should go to http://packages.debian.org and download the package to the archives directory and install it.
OK, i downloaded it and it autoopened with Kpackage and I selected install, and I got an error which looks pretty much like the same error I've been getting before:Originally Posted by Stephen
(Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing //tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Errors were encountered while processing:
//tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
and the file is in the "/var/apt/cache/archives" directory.
Right click and use save as to save the package on the HD then move the package to the cache directory and try to install from there I have never used kpackage but I would image it is not trying to force an overwrite it is just trying to install normally.Originally Posted by lavaman094
Thanks for trying to help me. I did that, and put the file in /var/cache/apt/archives. I then did "apt-get -f install", but got the same error. I'm thinking the problem doesn't have to do with the package and has to do with "/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h'".Right click and use save as to save the package on the HD then move the package to the cache directory and try to install from there I have never used kpackage but I would image it is not trying to force an overwrite it is just trying to install normally.
apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 80 not upgraded.
7 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/27.3kB of archives.
After unpacking 135kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.21
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
ST31000528AS SEAGATE 1TB SATA 3GB 7200RPM HDD
$19.90
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16
ASUS ROG 14in QHD Ryzen 9 4.9GHz RTX 3060 16GB 1TB SSD White
$450.00
ADATA SD810 1TB External SSD USB 3.2 Gen2x2 2000MB/s New Sealed **FREE SHIPPING
$109.95
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
Samsung PM9A1 1TB PCIe 4.0 x4 NVMe M.2 SSD
$135.00
NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99