Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix Customization Image Size Increase

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Guest

    Knoppix Customization Image Size Increase

    I have seen several references to the increase in Knoppix image size. I have looked at the effects of this with the 3.2-7-24-EN version and I want to understand why this happens. Here are the statistics:

    [OUTLINE]
    I pull the contents of the CDROM to harddisk
    I pull the contents of the compressed loopback FS to harddisk
    I do NOTHING ... add nothing, change nothing
    Rebuild the cloop fs
    Rebuild the final ISO

    Here is a comparison:

    Originial ISO
    KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-07-24-EN.iso -> 726171648 (ls)

    After CD Boot the 7-24-EN Knoppix 3.2 sizes are:
    /KNOPPIX -> 1837388k (du -s)
    /cdrom -> 708743k (du -s)
    /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX -> 717986603 (ls)

    After copying contents to ext3 partition
    cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX -> 717986603 (du -s)
    KNOPPIX.d/ -> 2125956k (du -s)

    After Remaking the KNOPPIX File using command:
    mkisofs -R -U -V \"KNOPPIX filesystem\" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad \
    KNOPPIX.d/ | create_compressed_fs - 65536 > cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    I get a cloop fs image:
    cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX -> 740361704 (ls)
    Final ISO using :
    mkisofs -pad -l -r -v -J -V "KNOPPIX" -hide-rr-moved -o myknoppix.iso -b KNOPPIX/boot.img -c KNOPPIX/boot.cat cdrom

    myknoppix.iso -> 748546048 (ls)

    The trouble step is clearly the creation of the CLOOP ISO. Some threads have said that it depends on hardware (lots of things, drive RPM, processor, etc). But I don't understand why this would be the case. Slower hardware should just take longer ... not result in a different file size. Am I making a mistake somewhere?

    So somehow going through the process without adding anything I gain about 22000000B

    Its a mystery to me.
    Austin

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    220
    diffrent cloop version maybe?

  3. #3
    Guest

    More Information Plus Hypothesis

    The additional information I have:

    I have two compressed loopback ISO 9660 Filesystems. The oringal one from the 3.2-7-24-EN version of Knoppix (ORIGINAL) and the one I made directly from that without changing anything, simply copying to ext3 partition, then creating new cloop image (MINE). Here are their stats:

    ORIGINAL
    ISO Size: 701159 k
    du -s in / of mounted cloop fs: 1837388 k
    du -s of source the cloop fs was made from: 2125956 k

    MINE
    ISO Size: 722819 k
    du -s in / of mounted cloop fs: 1837390 k
    du -s of source the cloop fs was made from: 2125956 k

    So I think it is important to note the following things ... the sizes of the mounted loopback filesystems are only different by two bytes BUT the cloop ISO file itself is different by 20000 k. That is 2 kB -> 20000 kB.

    OK, so I have come up with a good explaination for this I think. Since cloop compresses its data in 65k blocks (something like that) how you sort the files when you build your compressed loopback filesystem will have a major effect on the final cumulative compression ratio achieved. So you could be splitting your FS into 65k blocks such that you get a BAD compression ratio or you can be splitting it up to compress most efficiently. Since I do not sort my files in any particular manner I just get whatever comes up.

    So I will try sorting the same exact file system and build off of that and see if the resuling cloop fs image is different.

    Austin

    PS - BTW, the cloop versions are identical.

  4. #4
    Guest
    For those that are curious, the size of the KNOPPIX file is different if you sort it, like I suggested. However the difference is miniscule.

    Another good tip, you can run "isoinfo -d -i /dev/cloop" after you have inserted your cloop module on the cloop image of your choice. This allows you to look at ISO info that is otherwise not visible.

    Granted I still haven't solved my problem.

    Austin

  5. #5
    Guest
    Finally a resolution to this issue:

    On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:26:05PM +0200, Baeckeroot alain wrote:

    >> Hello
    >>
    >> I'm running Knoppix-3.3_2003.09.24 and I'm remastering...
    >> As I was in trouble, I tried to remaster the same CD whithout changing anything
    >> but just test the whole process:
    >>
    >> I mount (cloop) the huge compressed KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file
    >> I copy it to mydir (for a future chroot apt-get ....)
    >> I change nothing, and I
    >> mkisofs | create_compress_fs > myKNOPPIX
    >>
    >> The file is now 715 MB instead of 700 !!! so it doesn't fit into my CD !!!
    >>
    >> What's wrong ?
    >> Are there any options ?
    >> I'm working on ext3 filesystem, should I do it on xfs ?


    No, you are just victim of a kernel bug in the iso9660 filesystem.
    Hardlinks are not correctly copied as hardlinks, so they are split into
    individual files and therefore require more space on the destination
    filesystem. If you replace all files that are >= 1 Byte and identical by
    content to each other, with hardlinks, the allocated space should shrink
    accordingly.

    Regards
    -Klaus Knopper
    -----------------------------------

    -Austin

  6. #6
    Guest
    Here is a program that will search for duplicate files and then link them:

    <a href=http://www.stearns.org/freedups/>http://www.stearns.org/freedups/</a>

    It will probably reduce the size of your image by about 30-60 MB.

    I got a 33 MB reduction on the 3.3 9-24 disk

    Austin

Similar Threads

  1. Looking to increase the size of the 'drive'...
    By TheTak in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 07:47 PM
  2. curious thing about image size
    By magyar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 07:24 PM
  3. BLock size/image length
    By warawara in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 05:45 PM
  4. image size
    By image in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 02:19 AM
  5. VMware on Knoppix - any way to increase the mouse polling?
    By Dave_Bechtel in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2003, 11:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5

Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s

$59.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5

New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD

$137.59