Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Starting Knoppix Terminal Server when booting from CD?

  1. #1

    Starting Knoppix Terminal Server when booting from CD?

    I searched this forum, and I didn't find anything similar to this, so here goes nothing. Hope I'm not covering old ground!

    I'm attempting to set up a configuration in which I can insert a KNOPPIX CD, have it read my floppyconfig, and start the knoppix-terminalserver with my floppyconfig's stored settings. All of this needs to be automated, where all I have to do is boot the machine, type knoppix floppyconfig, and sit there while it goes on.

    I tried to use update-rc.d to make the appropriate symlinks in the /etc/rc?.d directories to start the server, but I was unable to save that configuration to the floppy's configuration. I thought about remastering the KNOPPIX disc to already have those symlinks in /etc/rc?.d, but I didn't want to do anything like that unless it was the only way.

    Is there some way I can customize the floppyconfig disk I'm using to either a.) Make the symlinks using update-rc.d, or b.) Have a script on the floppy that will automagically run /etc/init.d/knoppix-terminalserver start after everything else has been initialised? Keep in mind I'm not against remastering a custom CD to do this, but I'd only want to do it as a last option. I'm not very familiar with how the persisitent config files work, but I'm willing to learn.

    Thanks in advance, guys!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Are you trying to run a terminal server off an HDD install? It seems that it only works off the CD.

    Upset,

  3. #3
    Actually, I'm trying to run it off of CD.

    Basically, I'd like to be able to set up a terminal server wherever I go, by only popping in a Knoppix CD and the persistent config floppy, and having the rest of the process automated.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    29
    Hey, I try to do the same thing. I add a line to knoppix.sh to start the Terminal Server and add this file to the CDROM. The knoppix-TerminalServer scripts still needs to be modified so it would not wait for user answers. Can any of you coders help with this task?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    80
    not sure what files are actually saved the first time LTSP is run but if you can figure this out, you can use your floppyconfig to restore the LTSP configuration files and then run:

    /etc/init.d/knopppix-terminalserver start

    all from the knoppix.sh file on your floppyconfig

    Try looking for a directory called pxelinux.cfg and the file in that directory called "default". There's probably some DHCP3, nfs, and tftp configuration files too. You should be able to boot from CD and start LTSP and then look for changed/new files in /etc directories.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix terminal server without booting knoppix?
    By divinehawk in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2005, 08:08 PM
  2. Knoppix Terminal Server
    By globaltekit in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 06:13 PM
  3. problems starting Client with Terminal server
    By wurm in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 03:04 PM
  4. Starting Terminal Server Deamon at start up
    By mbokoma in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 02:18 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 04:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99