-
apt-get upgrade made huge changes to system
I installed Knoppix 3.2 to the hard drive in the summer, and recently did a full apt-get upgrade; as far as I can recall, I didn't change the sources.list file (though I may have added some local Debian mirrors).
I had in the last few months installed a number of additional packages, and a new kernel (2.4.22).
The upgrade did not go well. Many changes seem to have been made to the system, and many of the settings I had adjusted seem to have been overwritten or replaced. Also, at boot the system is now trying to install a number of modules it didn't try before (ISDN is one in particular I noticed). Custom changes I had made to /etc/inittab, /etc/init.d/rc.d, /etc/init./rcS.d (for kernel-patch-lpp) were lost. It seems the upgrade
After mucking about for a while I did manage to get the system to boot properly, except for two issues:
1. Boot time is now much longer. I am guessing this is because of the attempts to load modules that don't exist in my recompiled kernel
2. KDM does not start automatically, though it tries to. The last message at boot is "Starting KDE", but then it goes straight to a console. Typing "kdm" at the console will then start KDE without problems.
3. Some console programs run as root use German (i.e. modconf)
Before I start mucking about with the module directories and startup scripts, does anyone have any suggestions/thoughts/comments about this? Anyone else have the same problems? Might I better off to clean off the hard drive and do a fresh instal (I can reinstall the few extra programs without too much hassle)?
B
Similar Threads
-
By knewbix in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-19-2005, 09:10 AM
-
By Leipe_Po in forum Klik
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-12-2005, 08:45 PM
-
By jinzora in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-11-2005, 12:46 AM
-
By John in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-31-2003, 02:21 PM
-
By eadz in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-01-2003, 09:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99