Not sure about a GUI tool for making floppies but it's pretty easy under Linux. In a term (of course)
dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0
So just substitute floppy.img for the image you want on a floppy. Oh and BTW the Knoppix floppy image is on the cd.
![]()
I have knoppix 3.3 installed on my HD, /dev/hdb2
I had created a boot disk and it was working fine for a while till my kids messed up my boot disk to get into linux.
I have 2 HD on my system the first drive is running windoz XP and the second is knoppix linux.
as root what do I type to make a boot disk for hdb2
please help.
I once saw under the KDE menu make boot disk but I can't seem to find it.
thanks
Pablo...
Not sure about a GUI tool for making floppies but it's pretty easy under Linux. In a term (of course)
dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0
So just substitute floppy.img for the image you want on a floppy. Oh and BTW the Knoppix floppy image is on the cd.
From the CD.
Code:dd if=/cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img of=/dev/fd0
--You guys need to read his post a bit more carefully. He has Knoppix installed on his HD, and the CD boot image won't help here.
o Boot Knoppix CD in runlevel 2 ' knoppix 2 '
o ' mount /mnt/hdb2 '
--Assuming you have a valid lilo.conf on your install...
' chroot /mnt/hdb2 '
' lilo -b /dev/fd0 ' == Re-write the bootdisk (the floppy should NOT be mounted when you do this!)
--Set the read-only tab on the floppy![]()
--Hit Ctrl-D to get out of chroot
' reboot ' with floppy in drive.
--The other way is to use syslinux. ' man syslinux ' Basically you mkdosfs on the floppy, cp your kernel to it, and run syslinux on it. This slows down boot time because the entire kernel has to be read from floppy, which is why most ppl use lilo. Here is a post to get you started.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...light=syslinux
--Once you have a working boot floppy:
' dd if=/dev/fd0 of=mybootfloppy.144.img ' == Make a copy of the bootfloppy to file
--If you ever have to recreate the boot:
' dd if=mybootfloppy.144.img of=/dev/fd0 '
Thanks guys! I got into my system, at the console I typed
mkboot
it made me a lilo boot disk for the system, it works great.
thanks for the help
Pablo n2meg...![]()

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy
$35.00
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Western Digital Blue (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 64MB Cache) 1TB HDD
$19.90
Seagate ST3000NM0005 HDD 3TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K 3.5" 512 b/s
$59.00
Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB 7200RPM 3.5in SATA III 6Gb/s - enterprise-grade hard drive
$49.00
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99