Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Where's LILO?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    10

    Where's LILO?

    I'm running a dual-boot system with a Knoppix install of Debian and Windows XP (and I hope to throw on a DOS 6.2, but that's a topic for another post). I installed Powerquest Bootmagic (before Knoppix) into my MBR and boot from that, with XP as my default operating system.

    Now, when I boot up, if I select Linux, LILO comes up and asks me to choose operating systems again. It's my understanding that I can't remove LILO and still boot LINUX without a boot floppy. I was instead planning to try to edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the timeout to zero so I wouldn't have to wait (or hit Enter) to boot into LINUX.

    Where is it? I checked /etc/ and couldn't find it. I did find /etc/lilo.conf.OLD but don't know what to do with it. I'm no stranger to computers, but am totally new to LINUX (hence the Knoppix install). Anyone?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Should be in /etc/ as /etc/lilo.conf

    Lilo itself should be where you put it (by default, on the mbr).

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    10
    I know. That's what's so weird, I can't find it there.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    ' ls -al /etc/lilo* ' == If the only file is .OLD,
    ' cd /etc; mv lilo*OLD lilo.conf ' and use that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Haddad
    I know. That's what's so weird, I can't find it there.

Similar Threads

  1. where has LILO gone
    By whoeverheis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 07:13 PM
  2. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  3. LILO
    By emartinson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 04:22 AM
  4. Fix LILO?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
  5. lilo help
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 03:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7 picture

GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7

$69.59



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



Gigabyte B365M AORUS ELITE Motherboard Intel B365 Micro ATX LGA 1151 DDR4 DIMM picture

Gigabyte B365M AORUS ELITE Motherboard Intel B365 Micro ATX LGA 1151 DDR4 DIMM

$84.99