Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Where's LILO?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    10

    Where's LILO?

    I'm running a dual-boot system with a Knoppix install of Debian and Windows XP (and I hope to throw on a DOS 6.2, but that's a topic for another post). I installed Powerquest Bootmagic (before Knoppix) into my MBR and boot from that, with XP as my default operating system.

    Now, when I boot up, if I select Linux, LILO comes up and asks me to choose operating systems again. It's my understanding that I can't remove LILO and still boot LINUX without a boot floppy. I was instead planning to try to edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the timeout to zero so I wouldn't have to wait (or hit Enter) to boot into LINUX.

    Where is it? I checked /etc/ and couldn't find it. I did find /etc/lilo.conf.OLD but don't know what to do with it. I'm no stranger to computers, but am totally new to LINUX (hence the Knoppix install). Anyone?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Should be in /etc/ as /etc/lilo.conf

    Lilo itself should be where you put it (by default, on the mbr).

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    10
    I know. That's what's so weird, I can't find it there.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    ' ls -al /etc/lilo* ' == If the only file is .OLD,
    ' cd /etc; mv lilo*OLD lilo.conf ' and use that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon_Haddad
    I know. That's what's so weird, I can't find it there.

Similar Threads

  1. where has LILO gone
    By whoeverheis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 07:13 PM
  2. Reinstall lilo to hda, using hda lilo.conf and knoppix live
    By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
  3. LILO
    By emartinson in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 04:22 AM
  4. Fix LILO?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
  5. lilo help
    By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 03:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Octa Vacuum Vacuum Dock Whale Tail-Tablet Mount for iPad, Galaxy, Surface More picture

Octa Vacuum Vacuum Dock Whale Tail-Tablet Mount for iPad, Galaxy, Surface More

$36.00



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



WaterSaver CT4880F-225WSA Vacuum VAC Panel Mount Needle Valve 3/8

WaterSaver CT4880F-225WSA Vacuum VAC Panel Mount Needle Valve 3/8" IPS 1 Pc

$78.00



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery picture

Cordless Handheld Vacuum Cleaner Compatible with DeWalt 20V Battery

$107.67



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99