Wow, I noticed that the FAQ was in a wiki! So I added the question to the "using KNOPPIX"-faq. Will this automatically be in the faq in the next release of knoppix?
Yesterday I thought I had crashed two computers after using knopix. One was a Dell Dimension, the other a Dell Optiplex.
On rebooting after using knoppix exactly nothing happened! The computers seemed to be very dead. More dead than I've ever seen before, actually.
Quite scary, as none of the computers were mine.
Turns out that the problem was easy to fix, I just had to pull out the power cable for a few seconds, so everything is fine now.
But I REALLY REALLY REALLY think this problem should be in the FAQ/Documentation! (with large print..)
Dell is a very common brand, and this problem might actually give knoppix a bad reputation.
Other than that, knoppix rocks!!
Wow, I noticed that the FAQ was in a wiki! So I added the question to the "using KNOPPIX"-faq. Will this automatically be in the faq in the next release of knoppix?
I have expressed the same opinion a couple of times the warning should be on the boot screen and Dell should fix their buggy BIOS's as well so people would not have these problems.Originally Posted by dabrepus
Well okay, maybe you can (both) help and find out how to detect the dell BIOS under linux. Klaus Knopper can add a warning screen.
Good idea?

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00
Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10
$109.99