Wow, I noticed that the FAQ was in a wiki! So I added the question to the "using KNOPPIX"-faq. Will this automatically be in the faq in the next release of knoppix?
Yesterday I thought I had crashed two computers after using knopix. One was a Dell Dimension, the other a Dell Optiplex.
On rebooting after using knoppix exactly nothing happened! The computers seemed to be very dead. More dead than I've ever seen before, actually.
Quite scary, as none of the computers were mine.
Turns out that the problem was easy to fix, I just had to pull out the power cable for a few seconds, so everything is fine now.
But I REALLY REALLY REALLY think this problem should be in the FAQ/Documentation! (with large print..)
Dell is a very common brand, and this problem might actually give knoppix a bad reputation.
Other than that, knoppix rocks!!
Wow, I noticed that the FAQ was in a wiki! So I added the question to the "using KNOPPIX"-faq. Will this automatically be in the faq in the next release of knoppix?
I have expressed the same opinion a couple of times the warning should be on the boot screen and Dell should fix their buggy BIOS's as well so people would not have these problems.Originally Posted by dabrepus
Well okay, maybe you can (both) help and find out how to detect the dell BIOS under linux. Klaus Knopper can add a warning screen.
Good idea?

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair
$88.75
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00
ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS
$120.00