Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Refresh rate issue

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6

    Refresh rate issue

    Hello.

    I downloaded the latest Knoppix release (3.3 2003-09-24), and it runs fine.

    But I have one issue: my monitor can do 1024x768, as the graphics card, but only in 87interlaced vertical refresh rate.

    So I have to force 800x600 to see something for XFree, and still Knoppix during boot (and shutdown) uses 1024x768 with a bad refresh rate, thus everything appears 4 times and is pretty hard to read .

    What parameters should i give at boot time to fix those issues?
    Or is there something to tweak somewhere?

    TIA!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Refresh rate issue

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryo_
    Hello.

    I downloaded the latest Knoppix release (3.3 2003-09-24), and it runs fine.

    But I have one issue: my monitor can do 1024x768, as the graphics card, but only in 87interlaced vertical refresh rate.

    So I have to force 800x600 to see something for XFree, and still Knoppix during boot (and shutdown) uses 1024x768 with a bad refresh rate, thus everything appears 4 times and is pretty hard to read .

    What parameters should i give at boot time to fix those issues?
    TIA!
    Try knoppix xvrefresh=60 screen=1024x768 and you may want to use the proper xmodule cheat code on the line as well.
    Or is there something to tweak somewhere?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6
    Hum I tried vsync=60, no go.
    I'll try xvrefresh next time.

    The issue is that my monitor doesn't even do 60hz, it seems. Yes it's a crappy old one
    I know it does 1026x768 with 87 interlaced mode. I remember some X windows parameter somewhere to tweak that.

    Also, Knoppix itself, for its console, obviously uses 1024x768, even if you specify the screen resolution to be 800x600. Any way to fix that?

    (and cheat codes don't help much, or i don't understand'em )

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    How big is your monitor? (I would try to find all of the specifications for your monitor.) What is the 87 you are referring to, is that the horizontal scan rate in kHz??

    I have had some old monitors that wouldn't run 1024x768 with knoppix but I could do an install and get them to run at 1024x768, so I ran them at 800x600 with knoppix and started with knoppix screen=800x600.

    Also if your monitor won't run at xvrefresh=60 don't use 60 use another number for the 60, a value your monitor will run at.

    CheatCodes can be a necessary part of knoppix.

    ~rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6
    87 hz is vertical refresh rate.
    800x600 mode works fine, but 1024x768 requires 87hz interlaced vertical refresh mode.
    Else the screen is real garbage

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6
    Currently under Knoppix, screen 800x600
    But the console (at startup, or when hitting ctrl-alt-f1) is obviously still in 1024x768, thus i can't really read it...

    And I'd prefer to work in 1024 under xfree, too

    Thanks for the help in any case.

Similar Threads

  1. Refresh Rate
    By rehorne in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:41 AM
  2. refresh rate
    By jeanthibca in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
  3. Refresh rate
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-18-2003, 07:36 PM
  4. refresh rate
    By Zibar in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-20-2003, 08:04 PM
  5. Refresh Rate
    By bateto_007 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99