-
myhome/myconfig - what's the diff?
Can somebody tell me what actually is the difference between saving the KNOPPIX configuration and saving the persistent home directory? I figured the /home saves all files in that directory but there are also .configuration files so why would I then need the saveconfig?
I was actually looking for a way to save some impotrant files such as /etc/passwd, /etc/inittab and so on.
I tried to look in various DOC and FAQ online but I cannot find any description of what actually is saved using these functions.
Thanks
zkosty
-
If you are talking about a situation where you boot from the CD each time, then you are not going to be able to really save any changes.
-
Wrong. You can save all you want (!)
I think that the Persistent Home Directory saves all that goes into the users Home directory, and I *think* saving the Knoppix config is files that normally goes elsewhere.
-
...... the saveconfig saves the config file "knoppix.sh" (which is a script and a short one on my system). (The knoppix.sh on the cdrom loads too with this att boot)
-
Well, after saving the config, inspecting my hard drive, I find these 2 files: knoppix.sh file of 462 bytes, and configs.tbz file of 242104 bytes. Reading the text in knoppix.sh, apparently this script only causes the system to read the larger file, configs.tbz.
My question now is, what kind of information is stored in the .tbz file?
And my original, persisting question is: can I save configuration files from the /etc directory, such as etc/passwd, etc/hosts and so on?
thank you !
zkosty
Similar Threads
-
By star in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-26-2005, 04:29 AM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-08-2004, 01:45 PM
-
By evilkat in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-06-2004, 06:52 AM
-
By unamiccia in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-08-2004, 02:43 AM
-
By DavidTempler in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*
$80.00

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks
$79.00

3 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Office 2007, Windows Vista Business Vintage
$60.00
![Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac picture](/store/img/g/EhEAAOSwg7ZnexmU/s-l225/Apple-Macintosh-Boot-Disk-System-1-0-8-0-400-800k-.jpg)
Apple Macintosh Boot Disk System [1.0 - 8.0] 400/800k/1.4 Floppy for Vintage Mac
$14.75

Vintage Tandy Color Computer Print Master Software Manual & Floppy Disk Binder
$38.00

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard
$350.00

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards
$57.59