Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2

    Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot

    Hi folks,
    I'm having a problem writing to my hard disk after booting up from a 3.3 CD. The disk is mounted fine and I can read it, and have set the properties so that it is not read only by right clicking it on the desktop. However, if I try to write to it, I get a read-only error.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance,
    Conor

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot

    --You need to have a directory owned by the knoppix user, or change existing permissions, or do things as root. Please be more specific as to exactly what you are trying to accomplish - are you saving a document file, copying things around, etc.

    --Post results of ' mount '.

    Quote Originally Posted by conor
    Hi folks,
    I'm having a problem writing to my hard disk after booting up from a 3.3 CD. The disk is mounted fine and I can read it, and have set the properties so that it is not read only by right clicking it on the desktop. However, if I try to write to it, I get a read-only error.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance,
    Conor

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    2
    I was trying to copy files onto the hard disk as root, however, I figured out the problem, which is that Knopppix seems to mount file systems as read only by default. It was just a matter of changing the entry in /etc/fstab - thanks for checking anyway, I appreciate you taking the time.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --You can also remount on the fly:
    ' mount /mnt/blah -oremount,rw ' as root, if it's already mounted.

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix how i mount the partitions(ext3) in writing mode?
    By schreibebrett in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-24-2005, 05:11 PM
  2. Iso Hard disk boot 3.8.1
    By vegetto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 12:40 AM
  3. Writing 2 windows file systems after booting from Hard disk
    By Mr_White in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
  4. writing on windows xp partition hard disk
    By francy222 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
  5. Hard disk problems, what utils should I use to diagnose-ext3
    By Tim_Neobard in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00