-
Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot
Hi folks,
I'm having a problem writing to my hard disk after booting up from a 3.3 CD. The disk is mounted fine and I can read it, and have set the properties so that it is not read only by right clicking it on the desktop. However, if I try to write to it, I get a read-only error.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Conor
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot
--You need to have a directory owned by the knoppix user, or change existing permissions, or do things as root. Please be more specific as to exactly what you are trying to accomplish - are you saving a document file, copying things around, etc.
--Post results of ' mount '.

Originally Posted by
conor
Hi folks,
I'm having a problem writing to my hard disk after booting up from a 3.3 CD. The disk is mounted fine and I can read it, and have set the properties so that it is not read only by right clicking it on the desktop. However, if I try to write to it, I get a read-only error.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks in advance,
Conor
-
I was trying to copy files onto the hard disk as root, however, I figured out the problem, which is that Knopppix seems to mount file systems as read only by default. It was just a matter of changing the entry in /etc/fstab - thanks for checking anyway, I appreciate you taking the time.
-
Senior Member
registered user
--You can also remount on the fly:
' mount /mnt/blah -oremount,rw ' as root, if it's already mounted.
Similar Threads
-
By schreibebrett in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-24-2005, 05:11 PM
-
By vegetto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-14-2005, 12:40 AM
-
By Mr_White in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-25-2005, 01:26 AM
-
By francy222 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 06:48 PM
-
By Tim_Neobard in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-10-2004, 03:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$18.95

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal
$98.95