Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Can't diallup anymore

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    Can't diallup anymore

    I'm pretty sure I made some horrible configuration error at some point while upgrading.

    Symptoms are as follows:

    Modem worked fine with pon and poff before upgrade

    Modem works fine with SuSE 8.1

    I've re-run pppconfig with no good result

    The modem's lights just sort of fibrillate

    There's a pile of stuff about trying to load isdn modules on start up (I have plain old diallup, no ISDN)

    Any ideas welcolmed. I don't really have an idea as to what I ought to be looking for, let alone how to fix it. And I really don't want to re-install.

    If anyone wants any details, just tell me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Oh God, is it really that bad?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Yes it's really that bad ....

    Sorry, I thought I posted last night...

    If you aren't using isdn and don't plan on using isdn in the near future why not remove all isdn packages?

    do a:

    dpkg -l | grep isdn

    and apt-get remove --purge

    the isdn packages.

    What must have happened in your upgrade is a new package was allowed to use its new config file instead of using the old ones on your system (just my guess)

    FYI: I use wvdial for my dialup it works better than anything else I've tried

    HTH

    ~rock

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Thanks Rock -- I'll try that and see what happens.

    Any ideas what I actually need to run a straightforward diallup? Have pon and poff (which I rather like now I've iconised them) but do I need anything else?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    OK, I purged everything with ISDN on it and now the error messages have stopped. But I still can't pon and poff.

    Anyone any ideas as to what debs underly the dialup connection process? pppd does run, but dies after no connection is made. The modem still fibrilates. What config files should I be looking at?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    it should be in the following packages:

    ppp and pppconfig

    run plog as root and see what it gives as output

    ~rock

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Here we go (not all that revealing, to me, at any rate):

    root@molehole:/home/john# plog
    Oct 24 19:40:41 molehole chat[626]: -- got it
    Oct 24 19:40:41 molehole chat[626]: send (ATDT179^M)
    Oct 24 19:40:41 molehole chat[626]: expect (CONNECT)
    Oct 24 19:40:41 molehole chat[626]: ^M
    Oct 24 19:40:41 molehole chat[626]: warning: read() on stdin returned 0
    Oct 24 19:40:41 molehole chat[626]: Failed
    Oct 24 19:40:42 molehole pppd[625]: Connect script failed
    Oct 24 19:40:43 molehole pppd[625]: Exit.

    But you should see the problems I'm having with a fresh install of SuSE 8.2!

    I'll be away for a bit so please don't interpret a lack of reply as ignorance!

Similar Threads

  1. Help! I can't run Firefox anymore
    By GadgetMan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 11:04 PM
  2. Can't Print Anymore
    By rozen in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 11:19 PM
  3. No DSL connection anymore
    By Delbor in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 12:41 AM
  4. DSL doesn't work anymore
    By Fleshgolem in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2003, 08:57 AM
  5. knopiix-hdinstall doesn't work anymore?!
    By novakane007 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 05:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



4 X SKHynix 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y DDR4 ECC RDIMM HMA84GR7JJR4N-WM 840758-091U picture

4 X SKHynix 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2933Y DDR4 ECC RDIMM HMA84GR7JJR4N-WM 840758-091U

$780.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS picture

Samsung 64gb PC4-3200AA 2Rx4 DDR4 ECC LRDIMM Memory M393A8G40AB2-CWE - PARTS

$1450.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$289.80