Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Newbie question about HD install - Don't laugh

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19

    Newbie question about HD install - Don't laugh

    I've been using Knoppix for some time now and I absolutely love it. Now I plan to install it onto my HD. I'll tell you my plan and you tell me if it's good.

    Here is my plan:

    I have an unpartitioned NTFS HD running windows xp. I plan to make a 1-2GB FAT32 partition (Using partition manager?) and install knoppix on that partition.

    Now, here's the thing,

    how do I proceed after I made the partition?

    And how do I make a dual boot between xp and knoppix?

    Also, I will be able to write to the FAT32 partition with Knoppix correct?

    Is this a bad plan?

    You don't have to answer all the questions.

    Thanks,

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    11
    You might want to make your partition for linux 5Gigs. To install, boot Knoppix cd like usual and once it's loaded hit ctrl+Alt+F1. At the promp type knx-hdinstall or knoppix-installer for knoppix version 3.3 and just follow the walk through By answering some question.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19
    Do I have to partition the HD myself before doing the knx-hdinstall

    Is it ok if I don't have a floppy drive?

    How do I dual boot to linux and xp?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    I haven't attempted (yet) to install Knoppix on my HD but I've installed Linux before (particularly Red Hat Linux).

    I am no Linux expert but if you choose to do a HD install on your FAT32 partition, it won't be a FAT32 partition anymore after the install...

    Perhaps you should just resize/shrink the NTFS partition (using qtparted on the Knoppix CD) and then install Knoppix on the unpartitioned space...

    This post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174 makes dual booting seem like a breeze... you should check it out...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19
    I successfully created a ext2 partition and started installing.

    But during copying from cd, it gives millions of errrors like "error -3 uncompressing block" and like "input/output" error. Is it my CD? But I run knoppix from this cd without any problems.

    Help.

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi iamanewbie,

    this could be a bad CD. Did you check the md5 bofore you burned it? Maybe this failure is on a pice of code you don't use from CD; but if you install, _every_ byte is touched. I had this error too on a CD from a friend.

    Ciao Martin

    P.S.: Please don't post twice for one Problem.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19
    Ok i'm reburning the CD.

    Another question I have is that one post on hdinstall says you have to be careful with the bootloader step of the linux install, what exactly do I have to be careful with? I want to be able to select linux and xp to boot whenever I start.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14
    i have succesfuly installed knoppix like 8 times now the is how i did it

    NOTE it is a good idea to make a windows boot disk befor you do this just incase ([ http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314079 )

    1) boot to windows XP or whatever and partition your harddrive (using something like partition magic) make a partition the size you what and a swap partition (i have a 5 GB linux ext2 partition and a 256 MB swap partition)

    2) boot to the knoppix cd

    3) bring up the knoppix root shell

    4) type this command
    sudo knx-hdinstall

    5) answer the questions in the prompts then when you get to the part where it asks about formatting partitions you should be able to xout of it with no problems

    6) answer more questions and install files

    7) next you need to creat a boot floopy when it prompts you ( i would recomend it even if you are goin to use lilo

    reboot and it should work

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19
    THanks for the suggestion. But I don't have a floppy drive and also I did the knx-hdinstall.

    I wanted to use Grub loader so I said "No" to the linux's default loading. SO now it says installation complete, but I can only boot to windows xp (there's no load menu). What can I do with Grub under XP that would allow me to have a menu of linux and XP whenever I start my comp.?

    Thanks,

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14
    hummm
    if you boot to the knoppix cd you can modify files on the your linux partition so i would imagin you could install it that away. however i have never dealt with grub so i dont know much about it. just an idea to get u started.

    cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NEWBIE QUESTION: HOW DO I INSTALL APPS IN KNOPPIX 3.4?
    By prodmaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:02 PM
  2. newbie question: HD install with same settings as live CD?
    By elicheez in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 06:40 PM
  3. Noob question - don't laugh please
    By Enmity in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 10:37 AM
  4. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
  5. have a really good laugh!!
    By andrei in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 03:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD2003FYYS-05T9B0 2TB 7.2K SATA 3.5'' Enterprise Hard Drive picture

Western Digital WD2003FYYS-05T9B0 2TB 7.2K SATA 3.5'' Enterprise Hard Drive

$30.76



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



Toshiba 1TB 2.5

Toshiba 1TB 2.5" SATA HDD MQ01ABD100V 5400RPM 9.5mm Laptop Internal Hard Drive

$53.99



HDD 3.5

HDD 3.5" SATA Hard Drive with Windows 10/Win 11 64x Installed Legacy

$35.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health

$78.00



Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$159.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST2000NM0055 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Seagate ST2000NM0055 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD | Enterprise |

$69.00