Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Noob question - don't laugh please

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8

    Noob question - don't laugh please

    I'm doing a remaster and I've started it - following the RemasterHowTo in this site.
    OK so I'm setting the internet after I chroot - how the heck do I edit /etc/resolv.conf ???? And does it hurt if I'm using an ADSL connection
    I know I am really noobish but I've never had much experience.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I would recommend getting yourself familiar with mc. It will make your life easier. So you can simply do mc in a term and then navigate to /etc, arrow down to resolv.conf and hit F4. Make your changes and then F2 to save.

    Why do I like mc so much? It's the same whether in text mode or X.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    32
    as long as your connection is not AOL, there is nothing wrong with it.
    About editing the file, try eMacs, it's an editing software for terminal.
    in the terminal:

    Code:
    emacs /etc/resolv.conf
    that'll do it.

    ok, bye.

    hernan

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8
    Thanks for the help guys..
    I've did what hernan said and tried to edit it while chrooted:
    emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
    Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
    Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
    connections from your machine.
    So I rebooted and started from scratch BUT editing /<pathofremaster>/etc/resolv.conf BEFORE chrooting. It opened emacs and let me save it after editing.
    The internet connection won't work!
    I'm sure i got the IP of my ISP's DNS right but when I pinged google I didn't work.
    How do I make the internet connection work?
    BTW I'm using ADSL/PPPOE configuration script available on the Knoppix 3.2 CD.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    8
    Might as well bump this or no one will notice

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    6
    try "emacs -nw /etc/resolv.conf"

    or try vi
    you'll need to read abit to get vi to work.

    or just
    echo "nameserver 1.2.3.4" >> /etc/resolv.conf

    hope that helps

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    11

    ghez

    I can't believe I'm responding to this...

    nano

    is the simplest.
    It has the instructions on screen.

    If you want to use vim (I'm addicted... but it's not neccisaryily a good thing)

    try:
    vimtutor
    first.

Similar Threads

  1. noob install question
    By whooda in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 03:13 AM
  2. simple Noob Question
    By zombi3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2003, 07:05 AM
  3. yet another noob question
    By mstlyharmlss in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 09:19 PM
  4. Noob Question
    By philski27 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 01:17 AM
  5. Newbie question about HD install - Don't laugh
    By iamanewbie in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors picture

Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors

$290.00



Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4 picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4

$279.99



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good

$464.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 256GB - Good

$474.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99