-
Senior Member
registered user
does sshd work?
OK, I'm having a little problem with ssh. I have my students in a lab of 24 PCs running the "poor man's dual boot." The 25th machine was knoppix-installer'd as debian. Now I created accounts on this "server" so my kids can save their work in /home. Unfortuantely, using ssh with scp or fish is hit or miss. Some kids have no problem, but some can't even connect! Is this because they should always start sshd? If so, why can some kids connect and others not? I thought that sshd was started at boot time. I suppose sshd needs to be started on both the client and the server end, right?
Let me get this straight.
So I need to setup sshd on the server
/etc/init.d/sshd start
and my students, as clients, need to
/etc/init.d/sshd start
and then
ssh -l sally 10.10.2.64
and then
scp [email protected]:/home/sally/MyProg.java .
or
scp MyProg.java [email protected]:/home/sally
or
"KONQUEROR fish://[email protected]"
right...? I don't have them use /etc/init.d/sshd start - maybe that's the problem? In other words, do my clients need to use sshd start before ssh and do they then need ssh before scp or fish? Also, do I have to sshd start on the server (where my students save work to /home) first?
TIA,
Similar Threads
-
By cjackson0 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 04:42 AM
-
By paradox87 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-16-2004, 11:38 PM
-
By Not_Public in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-21-2003, 11:34 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-10-2003, 04:55 PM
-
By Xam_nl in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 06-23-2003, 08:17 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$128.96

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08