Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Using X -query to setup a LAN

  1. #11
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    X -query localhost:1
    should be

    Code:
    X  -query  localhost  :1
    (Space between localhost and :1)

    I tried it yet with an unchanged Knoppix box (192.168.1.99). All I had to do was:

    1. In /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess change
    #* #any host...
    to
    * #any host...

    2. In /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc set
    [Xdmcp]
    Enable=true

    After /etc/init.d/kdm restart I was able to
    X -query localhost :1
    This gave me a logon screen on vt8, vt7 was my original kdm screen.

    From another box (192.168.1.100) in runlevel 3 (no X)I connected with
    X -query 192.168.1.99
    If there is already a X running I use
    X -query 192.168.1.99 :1

    Works with these two changes above.

    Good luck
    Ciao Martin

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Martin:
    Just two questions.

    (1) Are you sure I don't also need the following?
    Then I
    rm /etc/rc5.d/S99kdm
    ln -s /etc/init.d/kdm /etc/rc5.d/S99kdm
    chmod a-x /etc/init.d/xsession

    which was part of my earlier post, but not part of yours and
    /etc/init.d/kdm restart
    I was told by another knopper that I did....

    (2) I forget how to view VT8. How do I do this?

    TIA!

  3. #13
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi Jorge,

    (1) No, I didn't need it.
    (2) < ALT><CTRL>F8 brings you to vt8
    First try to get it over localhost and if this is ok try the networked version.

    Ciao Martin

    Edit: Sorry, I typed ALT CTRL in <>, but the ALT was "eaten" by the forum software.

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanx Martin, I'll try this again later today when I get a chance. BTW, I tried <ctrl><F8> and didn't get what I expected, that's why I thought I didn't remember right how to view VT8....

    Regards,

  5. #15
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    <ALT><CTRL> Fx if you are on X
    <ALT>Fx from a textconsole, but <ALT><CTRL>Fx doesn't hurt.
    If HTML Code is enabled in the forum <ALT> ist recognized as a HTML tag and you don't see it.

    Ciao Martin

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    horo
    For a test on this computer:
    X *-query *localhost *:1
    on VT8 should start a KDM screen.
    Thanks for the great xdmcp testing tip!

    ~rock

  7. #17
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    94
    Hi Jorge,

    I tried my "two changes solution" from above just on a knoppix running from CD. I had to replace the two symlinks to CD with real files in ramdisk. It worked, _but_only_ if I had a configured eth0. If eth0 was not running, I got only the gray X screen. Maybe it's a hint for you to narrow down your problem.

    Ciao Martin

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thanx for your concern and continued help! I don't need to fix the symlinks if I'm running off hdinstall, right? BTW, I tested to make sure eth0 was working....

    Thanx,

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Sorry to leave you hanging, but this week was too hectic to play with my hdinstalls. I'll definitely try after T-Day!

    Thanx,

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, gentlemen! Finally, I got this mess to work. I did as Doug suggested. I think that after all the mods I made on the clients and server hdds, I must have screwed-up xhost.

    Steps that worked:
    (1)Server: I installed my server with knoppix-installer as Debian, addusers, and made all the server modifications listed in the links above. I then ran xhost +eachclientip but I found that adding the ips to /etc/hosts on the server works best!

    (2)Client: Then I have my clients boot the knoppix cd with the boot string: knoppix 2. Then my clients run X -broadcast (I did not need :1) or X -query 10.10.2.5. And all is finally as it should be in the Land of Linux!

    Minor problems left to resolve:
    (1)Client: What I need to do is have my knoppix-installer as knoppix clients boot up to runlevel 2 so I don't need to burn so many cds....

    (2)Server: The clients and the server resolution are both 800x600 only. If I boot the CD with the boot string: vga=normal screen=1024x768 xvrefresh=60 which used to work, I get a video modes on server and client mismatch error. I need to figure out how to get my i810 intel video onboard chip to give me its other mode, namely 1024x768 on the server. I got this res on the clients (when using ssh and fish instead of X -query) by booting a CD with the given boot string and copying the XF86Config-4 file from the ramdisk to my hdinstall. However, this only worked on knoppix-installer as knoppix, not knoppix-installer as debian. I had to knoppix-installer as debian my server to addusers and get the login window for my users....

    Thanx,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. a query!!!
    By Chinmay in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 01:04 AM
  2. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
  3. X -query SLOOWWWW!!!!!
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-16-2003, 12:50 AM
  4. X -query xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx :1 fails
    By sireasoning in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 03:08 AM
  5. nVidia GeForce2 query
    By hugge in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-02-2003, 04:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$254.97