Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: What to do after installation?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51

    What to do after installation?

    Greetings everyone,

    Being used to a Red Hat install, I was used to part of it's installation that set up a firewall for you....

    This got me to thinking.... what steps should one follow after a Knoppix HDD install?

    These things come to my mind:

    - configuration of a personal firewall
    - updating the system
    - removing unnecessary applications.

    I think I sort of know now how ty update my system... but how does one go about configuring and using a personal firewall.?

    I'd also appreciate tips, tricks, and information on the post-installation routine....

    Anyway, thanks a million and I'm absolutely glad I'm typing on a Debian / Knoppix platform right now...[/list]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    130
    I use firestarter for a firewall. Just:

    apt-get -t unstable install firestarter
    firestarter

    It will open a graphical wizard to configure your firewall. Once you have it configured the way you want, close the window and the firewall will continue running in the backgroup and will automatically be started at boot. If you ever want to change settings, just type "firestarter" as root at a command prompt.

    The other thing you want to do is set up your sources.list file located in /ect/apt/. You should uses mirrors close to you. You may also want to create a preferences file for apt. Here is mine:

    Package: *
    Pin: release o=Debian a=testing
    Pin-Priority: 900

    Package: *
    Pin: release o=Debian a=unstable
    Pin-Priority: 800

    Just save that as /etc/apt/preferences to run as testing/unstable. Testing packages will automatically be selected unless you specify -t unstable using apt-get. Of course, you may also want to just upgrade everything to unstable. There is a howto for that located here.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Thanks m_yates,

    Couldn't reply right away coz I had to get some sleep as it was past midnight where I am....

    About the sources list... I opened it up last night and wow! There was a lot of stuff there, I was just overwhelmed... all the samples in the howtos I've read were just a few lines... I totally didn't understand what was there and was too sleepy to try... maybe later when I get home (at work right now)

    Right before I go to bed is when I get crazy, so being new to Debian, I did an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade without knowing what will happen... it went without a hitch so that may mean the current sources on the list were good enough... I have to read some more to know what goes on...

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Managed to read through it and now I think I understand it a little bit... about changing the sources from lets say a .de to a .us - all this affects is the speed of the download doesn't it?

    I have read the APT howto (whether it registered is a topic for debate) but I am just a bit too wary right now. Anyway, assuming I don't change the default sources, is it okay if I do an apt-get update and an apt-get upgrade?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Did a bit more reading.... I think I get it now... anyway, I'm now leaning on upgrading to unstable... but I'll do a bit more reading for now...

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    I just went through (very quickly) the Debian Security Howto and they recommend that the /tmp and /var directories be moved to a their own partitions... What would the recommended partition sizes for these be?

    I guess the real question would be how do I do it? I have read on how to move the /home directory... would it be exactly the same procedure?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    /tmp usage on my system is very small (less than 1 meg); I'd say allocate maybe 20 meg to it JIC.

    /var - this is where the logs go. I'd say 500Meg would be Ok if you keep an eye on it.

    --BTW, if you want some basic firewall rules, see this thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=24865#24865

    --Ignore the post before it, that code is old. I'll say from experience that iptables seemed way too convoluted and complex from what I saw on the howto's and FAQ's and such - but when I googled for some example scripts, it allowed me to hack together that basic-protection script. With all the comments and everything, I even understand most of it now. References are included wherever possible.

    --Once you have it up and running for a week or so, as root do ' iptables -L -v ' and see how much stuff went thru the REJECT/DROP filters. Something of an eye-opener.

    Quote Originally Posted by bxb32001
    I just went through (very quickly) the Debian Security Howto and they recommend that the /tmp and /var directories be moved to a their own partitions... What would the recommended partition sizes for these be?

    I guess the real question would be how do I do it? I have read on how to move the /home directory... would it be exactly the same procedure?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    WOW.... thanks Dave... now I'm off to read up on IP tables...

    Greatly appreciate this...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Okay, now I'm a bit confused...

    If I use firestarter for my firewall... do I still have to do iptables?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bxb32001
    Okay, now I'm a bit confused...

    If I use firestarter for my firewall... do I still have to do iptables?
    Yes all the firewall programs you install will use iptables they are just front ends to allow easy use so you do not have to make your own rules and scripts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Installation von 3.4
    By Jan_L in forum German Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 03:16 PM
  2. RPM Installation
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
  4. Use of USB HDD installation
    By publiusi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 03:59 PM
  5. installation
    By appel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2002, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517 picture

IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517

$1249.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99