Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: What to do after installation?

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Oh... let me see if I understand this correctly... I run Dave's script.... then I install firestarter... (or the reverse order?)

    My internet connection went cranky in the afternoon so that about ended my computer session... apt-get dist-upgrade stalled because of this... hope it would be okay if I just restart the dist-upgrade...

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --If you run my script, then that *is* the firewall. It has some limitations; if I want to add a rule on the fly, I have to add it to the script and rerun it to flush everything. You may have more options / better control with firestarter tho.

    --I wouldn't recommend a dist-upgrade; that tends to Break Things Massively. Stick to upgrade.

    Quote Originally Posted by bxb32001
    Oh... let me see if I understand this correctly... I run Dave's script.... then I install firestarter... (or the reverse order?)

    My internet connection went cranky in the afternoon so that about ended my computer session... apt-get dist-upgrade stalled because of this... hope it would be okay if I just restart the dist-upgrade...

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by bxb32001
    Oh... let me see if I understand this correctly... I run Dave's script.... then I install firestarter... (or the reverse order?)

    My internet connection went cranky in the afternoon so that about ended my computer session... apt-get dist-upgrade stalled because of this... hope it would be okay if I just restart the dist-upgrade...
    Dave's script is a firewall you would not need firestarter in that case and you would be making your own rules in the script file if you wanted to open additional ports. Firestarter does the same as Dave's script except with a graphical interface so you do not have to write your own rules. You should be able to safely re-start the dist-upgrade if you run into the libsensors-1debian1not installable bug you can get it here it is probably best to get it before you start the dist-upgrade to have it handy in case of problems also if kdelibs and libxcursor-dev will not install because a file exists in another package and it cannot overwrite it then you would cd /var/cache/apt/archives and dpkg -i --force-overwrite offending_package.deb to install the package.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    51
    Thanks guys, that clears it up...

    This weekend has been a busy one so sorry for the time between replies...

    Just one more thing....

    When X starts up Konqueror opens up and looks for the Knoppix CD... after a while it gets really annoying... how do I take this away from the startup?


    - Bryan

    Oh... the Marlins won! (As well as Real Madrid and JC Ferrero...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Installation von 3.4
    By Jan_L in forum German Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 03:16 PM
  2. RPM Installation
    By djtwok in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 02:49 PM
  3. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
  4. Use of USB HDD installation
    By publiusi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 03:59 PM
  5. installation
    By appel in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2002, 11:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard picture

MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z790 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 ATX Motherboard

$163.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield picture

ASUS H110I-PLUS Motherboard LGA1151 w/ I5-7400 CPU, 8GB, Heatsink & I/O Shield

$60.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00