-
Grub Question
I installed grub and i have the following as my c:\boot.ini
[boot loader]
c:\boot\stage1="GRUB"
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
I also have the following as my menu.lst
# Sample boot menu configuration file
#
# Boot automatically after a minute.
timeout 60
# By default, boot the second entry.
default 1
# Fallback to the first entry.
fallback 0
title Windows XP
unhide (hd0,0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1
title KNOPPIX
root (hd6,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/initrd
But I am not presented with a boot menu when I start my comp, it goes directly to windows xp. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm certainly no grub expert, but it looks to me as though Grub should expect Knoppix on the 3rd partition of the 7th hard drive...........
-
fdisk in linux shows the following:
/dev/hda1 NTFS
/dev/hda2 Win95 Ext'd (I'm using win XP though)
/dev/hda5 Linux Swap
/dev/hda6 Linux
The bootable flag is on for the hda1.
Now, what should I put in that menu.lst that would allow me to have a boot menu for linux and windows xp.
-
Code:
...
title KNOPPIX
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/initrd
...
The GRUBbish way of naming partitions:
hda = (hd0)
hdb = (hd1)
...
hda1 = (hd0,0)
hda2 = (hd0,1)
...
hda6 = (hd0,5)
Ciao Martin
-
I used LILO and now everything is fixed.
THank you for all your guy's help!
-
Hi there , my line order is diferent of yours , and for me it works:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
c:\boot\stage1="GRUB"
Sorry I saw now that you have solved the problem
Similar Threads
-
By wslkevin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 13
Last Post: 09-21-2004, 05:31 AM
-
By dantay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-16-2004, 02:06 PM
-
By mark1221 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 10:32 PM
-
By iamanewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 12:59 PM
-
By JNeuhoff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

Intel Core i7-11700KF 3.60GHz 8 Core SRKNN 16 Thread LGA 1200 USED
$180.00

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99