Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: X problem with Knoppix 20-1-2003

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1

    X problem with Knoppix 20-1-2003

    When using Knoppix 20-1-2003, currently on a sis-based motherboard,
    I have been unable to get X working.
    The splash screen comes up.
    But XFree86 refuses to work - not even when I run XFree86 -configure
    Not in vga=normal
    XFree86 tries to use the vesa drivers - and when that fails, it tries to use
    the fbdev drivers - they both fail. When it fails - it just fails
    (No garbled screen, etc, just back to the console)

    The console, however, appears to work in fb mode, so I suspect that it
    is an XFree86 problem.

    When I use an older knoppix version (can't remember which, late last year) - it was still 3.1, and uses the same XFree86 version (4.2.x), it
    works flawlessly, booting into KDE, etc.


    What I'd like to know is, has anyone else had any problems?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    2

    SiS based motherboard

    I too have had problems with video on a SiS based motherboard. When I first start I had to use the cheat "knoppix vga=normal" to get to the autodetect phase. I got a "modprobe: can't locate module server: XF86_SVGA" during the autodect. When the install starts, I loss video getting an "VGA not supported" error. I tried all the other cheat I fould here and nothing works. If anyone has any idea's how to fix this, let me know as I am new to Linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem and solution, knoppix-install v3.3 2003-11-19
    By tubeman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2004, 01:55 PM
  2. There's an problem with GCJ on the 3.3-2003-11-19 release
    By stevedperkins in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 10:36 PM
  3. FireWire (ieee1394) problem using the last 24/09/2003 CD
    By mikekgr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 06:32 AM
  4. Knoppix Release 2003.07.26 - problem
    By larryks in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2003, 01:23 PM
  5. OpenOffice.org problem in 2003-05-03
    By Earl Gibbs in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2003, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95 picture

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95

$89.99



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99