Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Creating modified etherboot.nbi?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3

    Creating modified etherboot.nbi?

    Hi folks,

    I have a server based on LTSP that's running some X terminals. I'd like
    to also have this machine serve some "fat" diskless clients by letting
    them boot KNOPPIX, a la knoppix-terminalserver.

    Things seem pretty straightforward, but I've run into a problem with
    creating the boot image (etherboot.nbi). Packed up inside this file
    is a syslinux.cfg file that specifies the nfs root host and directory.

    If you run KNOPPIX and execute knoppix-terminalserver, an
    appropriate syslinux.cfg file is created automatically, and packed into
    the etherboot.nbi image. I've grabbed a copy of the knoppix-terminalserver
    script (and the template files it uses) from a running KNOPPIX system,
    and the steps to create the new etherboot.nbi look pretty straightforward.

    For some reason, though, they don't produce a useable image when
    I repeat them on my LTSP server. I can create a new etherboot.nbi,
    and disnbi tells me it looks OK, but when I try to remote-boot a
    machine using it, it fails, telling me "Boot failed" immediately after
    it starts the DOS Net Boot Image Loader version 0.8.1. (I'm using
    mknbi 1.4.2-1.)

    If I copy etherboot.nbi from a running KNOPPIX terminalserver,
    it boots fine on the remote machine, but it fails to NFS mount
    the root fs, because the IP address of the server is different.

    Does anyone have any clue about what special magic is missing?
    I've appended a copy of the script I'm using to generate the new
    etherboot.nbi file. It's just a cut-down version of the code in
    knoppix-terminalserver.

    Thanks in advance, and here's the code:

    <pre>
    #!/bin/sh

    NFSROOT=/opt/knoppix
    LANGUAGE=en
    APPEND=""
    SECURE=""
    KEYTABLE=""
    DEVICE=eth0

    IP="$(LANG=C LC_ALL=C ifconfig "$DEVICE" | awk '/[Ii]net [Aa]ddr/{FS="[:
    ]*"; $0=$0; print $4; exit}')"
    cat >/tftpboot/knoppix/templates/syslinux.cfg <<EOT
    DEFAULT vmlinuz
    APPEND$SECURE nfsdir=${IP}:${NFSROOT} nodhcp lang=$LANGUAGE ramdisk_size=100000
    init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi
    hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz quiet${APPEND:+ $APPEND} B
    OOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    TIMEOUT 300
    $KEYTABLE
    PROMPT 1
    DISPLAY boot.msg
    LABEL knoppix
    KERNEL vmlinuz
    APPEND$SECURE nfsdir=${IP}:${NFSROOT} nodhcp lang=$LANGUAGE ramdisk_size=100000
    init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi
    hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz quiet${APPEND:+ $APPEND} B
    OOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL knoppix-txt
    KERNEL vmlinuz
    APPEND$SECURE nfsdir=${IP}:${NFSROOT} nodhcp lang=$LANGUAGE ramdisk_size=100000
    init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi
    hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=normal initrd=miniroot.gz${APPEND:+ $APPEND} BOOT
    _IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL expert
    KERNEL vmlinuz
    APPEND$SECURE nfsdir=${IP}:${NFSROOT} nodhcp lang=$LANGUAGE ramdisk_size=100000
    init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi
    hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 initrd=miniroot.gz${APPEND:+ $APPEND} BOOT_IM
    AGE=expert
    LABEL fb1024x768
    KERNEL vmlinuz
    APPEND$SECURE nfsdir=${IP}:${NFSROOT} nodhcp lang=$LANGUAGE ramdisk_size=100000
    init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi
    hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=791 xmodule=fbdev initrd=miniroot.gz${APPEND:+ $A
    PPEND} BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    LABEL fb800x600
    KERNEL vmlinuz
    APPEND$SECURE nfsdir=${IP}:${NFSROOT} nodhcp lang=$LANGUAGE ramdisk_size=100000
    init=/etc/init apm=power-off nomce hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi
    hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=miniroot.gz${APPEND:+ $A
    PPEND} BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    EOT


    # Make etherboot image
    rm -f /tmp/net-boot.img
    drivex='drive x: file="/tmp/net-boot.img"'
    ( grep -v -i "drive.*x:" ~/.mtoolsrc 2>/dev/null ; echo "$drivex" ) > ~/.mtoolsr
    c.new
    mv -f ~/.mtoolsrc.new ~/.mtoolsrc
    mformat -C -t 80 -s 36 -h 2 x:
    mcopy /tftpboot/knoppix/templates/syslinux.cfg x:syslinux.cfg
    mcopy /tftpboot/knoppix/current-vmlinuz /tftpboot/knoppix/current-miniroot.gz \
    /tftpboot/knoppix/templates/tftpboot/* x:
    syslinux /tmp/net-boot.img
    mknbi-dos --rdbase=0x220000 /tmp/net-boot.img >/tftpboot/knoppix/etherboot-new.
    nbi
    rm -f /tmp/net-boot.img
    </pre>

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11

    Great idea

    I really like this idea I have a slightly different problem and maybe with your input I might beable to get my problem fixed.

    I am still realatively new and could use your help

    OK here it is I have knoppix running and everything is great with ms TS it boots and loads no prob with my one box but I have a 3rd box wich doesn't like the kernel and I was wondering once the TS connects how can I get that specific computer to load a different kernel that will work.

    I found a kernel that is suppose to boot that particular comp but I need a way to get that nic card to load that specific kernel.

    I have read some of the LTSP docs on it and by editing a file I can get that kernel to load but that doesn't work because of the etherboot.nbi

    Maybe you have some insight to this problem

  3. #3

    Please Help-me!!!

    Please..... HELP-ME!!!!! I BEG!

    OpenMosix do not works anyway....??!!!??

    The station starts but in the window:
    "KNOPPIX TerminalServer Client started, booting in 30 seconds.
    boot: (... i do wait...)
    Loading vmlinuz.........................................
    Boot Failded: please change disks and press a key to continue.

    LOTS of Thanks,

    Anderson - University of Alfenas - Brazil

    *** Further Informations ***

    to boot the server i use "clusterKNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-EN-cl1.iso"
    and later i have installed in HD using "#knx2hd"

    then i have run the "#knoppix-terminalopenmosixserver"
    ipserver: 192.168.0.1

    to boot my station i have created Floppy Boot Disk with
    # dd if=eb-5.4.3-rtl8139.zdsk of=/dev/fd0
    where "eb-5.4.3-rtl8139.zdsk" i got at http://www.rom-o-matic.org/

    but when the station boots...
    DHCP... ok (i got ip 192.168.0.250)
    TFTP... ok (i got etherboot.nbi)
    NFS ... ? (i can not download the BOOT file???)

    #joe /etc/export
    /diskless 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,no_root_splash,async)

    where "/diskless" is a link to /dev/cdrom
    (i kept the CD in the drive)

    but using the other computer with XUbuntu i can:
    * get new ip by dhcp (the same 192.168.0.250)
    * get file using:
    # tftp 192.168.0.1
    # tftp> get etherboo.nbi
    * mount the CD
    # mount -t nfs 192.168.0.1:/diskless /SoFarCD

    what happens....?????

Similar Threads

  1. Just -can't- get Etherboot to work
    By Tec in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
  2. Etherboot not working
    By dave in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 12:13 AM
  3. KNOPPIX, now with etherboot!
    By eadz in forum News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 04:04 AM
  4. Disable Etherboot
    By MaTh2k in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:28 AM
  5. Modified kernel results in Kernel Panic - No init found.
    By tji in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 picture

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110

$129.99



Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 *TESTED FOR POWER* picture

Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 *TESTED FOR POWER*

$349.99



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99



Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010) picture

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)

$149.00