Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Knoppix Distro with persistant directory on same CD?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix Distro with persistant directory on same CD?

    Here's a question I had going through my head. Is it possibel to trim down the distro a little bit, put it onto a rewritable CD instead of a regular cd, and then create a persistant directory on the same CD? That way I could keep everything on one disk? I'm not a linux guru, so I'm throwing the question out there. Think it's possible?

    dennison

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Welcome dennison_b,

    Keep those wheels in you brain turning, you may
    come up with a great idea some day.
    Sorry, just not yet.
    KNOPPIX is a great distro for creative ideas.

    Linux can write to a RWCD but up until
    recently -- only to the whole disk at once.
    Writing to part of a disk and changing it is
    call packet writing. I am no expert but this is
    just starting to be possible in the newest Linux
    kernel.

    The best solution is the key, thumb, stick usb
    drives starting at $30us. (It would be nice if they
    had an official generic name.)

    But since they are still expensive compared to a
    CDRW and can be lost I agree with your idea.
    I have been working on a KNOPPIX add-on project
    called burn_home.
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BurnHome
    I have not updated the scripts recently and am making a
    lot of changes. I am now working on changes to
    to allow encryption. So this is very much a work
    in progress.


    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    29
    Hi paradoc.

    I love the idea. Can you email me your script and I put it on my ftp server?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi tealeaf,

    Yes, I would be happy to e-mail the script. That is the best
    way for now. Copying my post does not work because
    editors add trailing space and mess up the lines. In
    addition what is posted there is usually out of date.
    I now have encryption added.

    My next hope is to add translucency -- a method
    to allow deb packages to be added to the live CD
    boot while in ram.

    Then we will have a true 2 CD KNOPPIX
    or KNOPPIX+ distro.

    Leave your e-mail, in spam protected form and
    I will sent the script.

    Alternative -- I spend a lot of time on IRC
    channel #knoppix 11pm -- 4 AM us cst.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    29
    TIA paradocs. I'll leave my email address on your site.
    Re translucency: I am working with some other guys on a method of switching cloop'ed files without rebooting and hope to finish it next week. It's sort of half solution to translucency.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by tealeaf
    TIA paradocs. I'll leave my email address on your site.
    Re translucency: I am working with some other guys on a method of switching cloop'ed files without rebooting and hope to finish it next week. It's sort of half solution to translucency.
    Talking about translucency, there is a translucency kernel module which allows stacking of R/W FS onto another RO FS(so one can apt-get on top of knoppix but if there is any 'delete then copy', it still will fail as delete from RO FS will return error immediately). The problem though is it would require heavy rewrite for linux 2.6 that should be out soon, but then cloop is in the same boat.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 11:50 AM
  2. Where is the persistant home directory and how do I delete
    By Harry Kuhman in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-07-2004, 12:31 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. Knoppix Persistant Home Directory & Saving Configuration
    By turbines in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 07:53 AM
  5. creating a persistant home directory
    By matt2kjones in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

EARLY INTEL 3101 Vintage Ceramic chip. ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$350.00



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD A6-3500@2.10GHz 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ picture

VINTAGE Custom Built Desktop-AMD [email protected] 8GB RAM 80GB HDD NO OS-READ

$160.00



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99



Vintage 1977  Cromemco 16KPR (16 KPR)  S-100  Computer Board picture

Vintage 1977 Cromemco 16KPR (16 KPR) S-100 Computer Board

$199.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold CT4390 ISA Sound Card - UNTESTED picture

Vintage Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold CT4390 ISA Sound Card - UNTESTED

$225.00



Lot of 4 Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic Gray Trace Chip - SOLDER PULLS   (BO) picture

Lot of 4 Intel C8102A-4 Vintage Ceramic Gray Trace Chip - SOLDER PULLS (BO)

$200.00



Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS picture

Vintage Gazelle Systems OP-Tune 1.3 Box Complete CIB Dual Floppy 3.5 5.25 DOS

$54.99



Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used picture

Vintage Sony CD-ROM Drive CDU5211 IDE Optical Used

$19.99