Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Someone PLEASE help me with this!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19

    Someone PLEASE help me with this!

    Hello everyone

    When I try to install grub with grub-installer /dev/hda

    it tells me that the file system is read only. I am running it from a live cd! so of course it's read-only!!! What exact command must I type so I can use the grub thing correctly....

    I am just lost....

    My goal is to boot between linux and windows xp everytime I start without using any floppy (I don't have a floppy drive.) Can someone help me achieve that goal.

    (I tried reading the doucmentations on grub, the more I read the more confused i get)....

    I thought Linux was gonna be easy

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    See your previous thread. BTW, why do you want to use Grub?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I can't help you because I don't have winxp but I think you should configure the winxp bootloader to start lilo which should be placed at the start of your linux partition, which will then start linux.

    If you set up a non-xp boot loader the least bit wrong you will NOT be able to boot into winxp, if that is NOT a problem then continue with grub or lilo or gag or ... but I would highly recommend that you search and find out how to set up the winxp bootloader.

    maybe this:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...002/09/3/30716
    and this:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174#25106

    You will need to boot to your knoppix cd and then mount your linux hd partition read/write, and then cd to your root directory of your linux install, and then chroot to that directory, then you can get your bootloader going.

    ~rock

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    19
    But I skipped the lilo to MBR part when I did hdinstall. So what do you mean by "winxp loader to start lilo??

    I'm sorry but I am really not familiar with these terms.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follow this procedure. It worked for me, to dual-boot WinXP and Knoppix.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4174

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive picture

Micron 1300 MTFDDAK256TDL 256 GB SATA III 2.5 in Solid State Drive

$24.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$42.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00