Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Running progrtams at startup like apache. postrgresql server

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    29

    Running progrtams at startup like apache. postrgresql server

    Hi
    After installation to HDD I find that apche etc DO not start at boot automatically.
    How do I setup for these programs to start at boot time using a gui based interphase preferably

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Greetings softgun,

    If you use KDE then the gui way to start things at
    boot up is to put a link or script in the folder:
    /home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart

    I am sure you know that .kde is a hidden file
    and you have to click on view and show hidden
    to see it.

    Also remember that the script may need to have
    sudo at the beginning a a line to start
    the process as root.

    There are other places in the root directories
    that are run at boot up -- but we will see what
    others have to say.

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    First (as root) see if this command starts apache:
    /etc/init.d/apache restart
    if it does without errors then continue with my manual setup, if you get errors you may need to run apachectl (as root) to set up apache. (I think apachectl should set up everything for you.)

    If you need to set up a service manually, here is some info on setting up a service that is in /etc/init.d...

    Look at /etc/inittab and see what runlevel you use as your default runlevel, look for lines like this:
    ...
    # The default runlevel.
    id:2:initdefault:
    ...

    then lets use apache as an example, look in /etc/rcX.d where X is the number in id:X:initdefault:
    and see if you have a symlink to /etc/init.d/apache:
    use this command:
    ls -al /etc/rcX.d (make sure and substitute your runlevel number for X)

    on my system I see:
    ...
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 20 2002 S91apache -> ../init.d/apache
    ...

    At this point if you don't see a symlink from your runlevel directory to ../init.d/apache make one like this:
    (AS root)
    cd /etc/rcX.d (again use the proper runlevel for X)
    ln -s ../init.d/apache ./S91apache

    Once this is done apache will be started up at boot. Note the "S" for start, you'll also need to look into /etc/rc0.d and make sure you have a kill link in there so do this:
    ln -al /etc/rc0.d
    on my system I see:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 20 2002 K20apache -> ../init.d/apache
    if this symlink is not present on your system then you'll need to make it similar to the startup link, so do this:
    cd /etc/rc0.d
    ln -s ../init.d/apache ./K20apache

    HTH

    ~rock

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    29
    Thanks everyone!
    I am afraid I needed a GUI based way for many of my new Linux converted friends. They will not accept the script editing stuff! I apologise for not making this clearer on my first posting.
    However I found a solution. Webmin.
    Install it
    Access it through the web browser
    Go to System
    Bootup and shutdown.
    Select whatever program you want to start
    click radio button "start at bootup"
    Save!

    Wow!

    Everyone of my Knoppix converted friends are VERY happy with Webmin. They even got a kick out of installing it in the shell prompt

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by softgun
    Thanks everyone!
    I am afraid I needed a GUI based way for many of my new Linux converted friends. They will not accept the script editing stuff! I apologise for not making this clearer on my first posting.
    However I found a solution. Webmin.
    Install it
    Access it through the web browser
    Go to System
    Bootup and shutdown.
    Select whatever program you want to start
    click radio button "start at bootup"
    Save!

    Wow!

    Everyone of my Knoppix converted friends are VERY happy with Webmin. They even got a kick out of installing it in the shell prompt

    I personally use the SystemV-Init Editor under the System menu. It is a GUI, and it basically self-explanatory. I don't know what the numbers besides the programs mean, besides some sort of start/kill order I guess, but it gets the job done for me.

    I will check out webmin though...

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix has a built-in Apache server?
    By johnsmith01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 05:13 AM
  2. Newbie.. ok got Apache running now.. next question PHP how2
    By westcparts in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 05:23 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 10:02 PM
  4. Why is apache running + is there a fast debain distro?
    By Zerro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-07-2004, 01:00 AM
  5. Knoppix Apache / SQL / PHP / Perl Web Server?
    By Zoplax in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 09:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac picture

185--Sonnet Crescendo G3 PPCG3-375-5-K-06 G3 Add-On Card for Vintage Mac

$90.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00



Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read picture

Vintage 1998 iMac G3 M4984 Mac OS + Keyboard Working but Needs Some Repair Read

$295.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Power PC 7200 / 120 Power PC Tested Works Read Desc picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Power PC 7200 / 120 Power PC Tested Works Read Desc

$119.95



Becton-Dickinson Mac Acquisition Card 03-20061 Vintage For Apple NuBus picture

Becton-Dickinson Mac Acquisition Card 03-20061 Vintage For Apple NuBus

$129.00



Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals picture

Vintage Apple Mac OS 9 Retail Box 1999 Sherlock 2 Original CD Manuals

$50.00



CLARIS MacWrite Competitive Upgrade Apple Macintosh Vintage Brand New Sealed picture

CLARIS MacWrite Competitive Upgrade Apple Macintosh Vintage Brand New Sealed

$75.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read picture

Apple Power Macintosh PowerPC 7300/200 VTG w Keyboard Mouse Storage Drive Read

$199.99