-
Reinstalling GRUB for multi-partition dead redhat 9
Hi. I'm trying to work my way through the FAQ so that I can fix my dead redhat 9 installation. At present, Grub has died (I edited grub.conf, and even replacing it with a known working file from another machine does not fix things. The computer boots, prints the word GRUB and freezes.
The problem I have is that I have my /boot directory in a partition by itself. Upon booting knoppix, I have two hd partitions, hda1 and hda2. hda1 is the contents of the boot directory.
Just trying to run "grub-install /dev/hda" under knoppix just gives me the error message "read only file system". This is even though I can edit files on the disks.
Would it be possible for me to mount both partitions back into their original structure. E.g.
mount -o dev /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
mount -o dev /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda2/boot
chroot /mnt/hda2
This should, I hope, give me a writeable version of my original system. I then (I hope) would then be able to
grub-install
(with no arguments) to rebuild my grub partition.
Should this work? As this is our only internet computer at home, I'm now remarkably unpopular. But, I'm also leaving the country for a week on saturday, and if I leave no working computer, I'm likely to be even less popular.
I've read the knoppix faq, but if anyone knows any other resources I should read, I'd like to know about them. And, I'd appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer. Note: this is not actually a multi-boot computer. It only runs redhat 9. So, any solution does not have to result in grub working, providing that the computer will boot.
Thanks in anticipation,
Ross Clement.
Similar Threads
-
By weirdjd in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-27-2005, 09:40 AM
-
By cli168 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-20-2005, 03:57 AM
-
By nrj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 8
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 12:41 AM
-
By tautges in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-04-2004, 10:22 PM
-
By nuke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 10-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS
$120.00