Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: No USB hotsync

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hull, UK (who says Kiwis don't fly!)
    Posts
    10

    No USB hotsync

    Hello, can anyone give me some help with getting a Handspring Visor to hotsync through a USB connection (using jpilot).

    I'm using Knoppix 3.3. My other USB devices are working (printer, mouse, and flash memory stick), although if I run 'USB View' nothing is detected (any suggestions about this would also be welcome).

    I have created links with both /dev/ttyUSB0 and 1 but nothing happens. /dev/pilot seems to be set up for an ordinary serial connection.

    Apart from this I'm really happy with Knoppix, after so many unsuccesful attempts to install Debian using my own wit and cunning---clearly inadequate!

    Regards, almala



    Here are the results of lspci and lsmod:

    lspci -v
    00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133] (rev 03)
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 8
    Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363/8365 [KT133/KM133 AGP] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 0
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=0
    Memory behind bridge: ec000000-edffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: e0000000-e7ffffff
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super South] (rev 40)
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686/A PCI to ISA Bridge
    Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel, latency 0
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:07.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586/B/686A/B PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
    I/O ports at e000 [size=16]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1a) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
    I/O ports at e400 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:07.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 1a) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
    I/O ports at e800 [size=32]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:07.4 Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev 40)
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI]
    Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 5
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Ensoniq: Unknown device 8001
    Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
    I/O ports at ec00 [size=64]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Savage 4 (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: S3 Inc. 86C394-397 Savage4
    Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel, latency 248, IRQ 11
    Memory at ed000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
    Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>



    lsmod
    Module Size Used by Not tainted
    ppp_deflate 2936 0 (autoclean)
    zlib_deflate 17304 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
    bsd_comp 3992 0 (autoclean)
    ppp_async 7232 1 (autoclean)
    ppp_generic 22816 3 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
    slhc 4560 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
    lp 7492 0 (autoclean)
    visor 10508 0 (unused)
    usbserial 17532 0 [visor]
    autofs4 8756 0 (unused)
    agpgart 38296 0 (unused)
    es1371 30120 0 (unused)
    gameport 1388 0 [es1371]
    ac97_codec 11884 0 [es1371]
    soundcore 3428 4 [es1371]
    parport_pc 24840 1
    parport 22496 1 [lp parport_pc]
    nls_iso8859-1 2844 1
    nls_cp437 4348 1
    serial 51972 2
    usb-storage 60960 1
    hid 21380 0 (unused)
    mousedev 3832 1
    input 3168 0 [hid mousedev]
    scanner 9948 0 (unused)
    printer 7680 0
    usb-uhci 21836 0 (unused)
    usbcore 57472 0 [visor usbserial usb-storage hid scanner printer usb-uhci]
    apm 9768 1
    rtc 6908 0
    ext3 63940 1
    jbd 46100 1 [ext3]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Not too hard really. Check these things:

    ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot

    Give /dev/ttyUSB1 666 permissions:

    chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB*

    Make sure the drivers are loaded:

    lsmod|grep usb
    usbserial 19068 0 [visor]
    usb-ohci 19560 0 (unused)
    usbmouse 2012 0 (unused)
    input 3296 0 [mousedev usbmouse hid]
    usbcore 61024 1 [visor usbserial usb-ohci usbmouse hid]

    *NOTE* If you have an older USB hub you might need the usb-uhci driver instead of ohci. How do you find out?

    cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

    *NOTE* I did not try linking /dev/pilot to ttyUSB0 because as you can see by the drivers loaded I use a USB mouse and it likes i.d. 0 - it may work on i.d. 0 if you have nothing else there- I dunno.

    Also, I have yet to try this on my KDE desktop so I've not used Kpilot but it seems equally easy to configure. I've installed Evolution and a few extras on my Morphix lightgui actually.

    apt-get install evolution gnome-pilot gnome-pilot-conduit\ libgnome-pilot2 autopilot pilot-link libpda-pilot-perl

    apt will give you the opprtunity to configure the symlinks during the installation. You gotta love Debian. If you goof it or are just plain afraid of symlinks just do a:

    dpkg-reconfigure pilot-link

    If you have USBview installed great. If not you can do:

    cat /prob/bus/usb/devices

    BUT the sync is fairly fast so you might not get the chance to see it without USBview. So...fireup usbview and then in Evolution go to Tools>PilotSettings. Just walk on through making sure to match the configuration with what you did here. Hit the sync button on your visor and watch usbview- You should hear a triumphant little tune and see HandspringVisor pop up in usbview for only as long as it takes to sync.

    So now I'm off to dl some apps or maybe even figure out how to get Linux to run on this thing. Perhaps we could make this an occasionally updated collection of Knoppix/PDA related materials?

    HTH

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hull, UK (who says Kiwis don't fly!)
    Posts
    10
    Well I'm mystified, and grateful too---it worked! But I'd already done the same; maybe it was all in the reboot, or perhaps you just happen to know what you're doing. Anyway thanks for that.

    I did try the apt-get suggestion for Evolution, but it's throwing up dependancy issues. Evolution is certainly a nice GUI for a diary, etc., but jpilot gives me peditpro memos and is good enough for everything else so I'll stick with it.

    Thanks again.

    Regards, almala

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by almala
    Well I'm mystified, and grateful too---it worked! But I'd already done the same; maybe it was all in the reboot, or perhaps you just happen to know what you're doing. Anyway thanks for that.
    cool- glad you got it working

    I did try the apt-get suggestion for Evolution, but it's throwing up dependancy issues. Evolution is certainly a nice GUI for a diary, etc.,
    Ah yes dependencies....but at the risk of sounding like a posterchild for Evolution I daresay that Evolution is a wee bit more than a gui for a diary. :P Nonetheless Jpilot is also a nice app and in Debian.

    I have been using pilot-link to install apps to the pda.

    pilot-xfer /dev/pilot -i application.prc

    It will give you a few retries until you hit the hotsync button on the cradle.

Similar Threads

  1. Visor Deluxe Will Not Hotsync
    By binarybum in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 03:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB

$160.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Galaxy Tab A11 64GB picture

Galaxy Tab A11 64GB

$150.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00