Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Unable to mount AES256 homedir in Gentoo

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    4

    Unable to mount AES256 homedir in Gentoo

    Hi there,

    I've been using Knoppix extensively lately, using an USB stick as homedir. It has a single FAT32 partition with an image of my homedir 'knoppix.img' on it. The image is encrypted with the AES256 encryption. Booting with "knoppix home=scan" works like a charm, asks me for my passphrase and mounts the stick as expected.

    Now I want to be able to access the data on the image on my main computer as well. I've got Gentoo (kernel gentoo-linux-2.4.20-r8) running on it, with the 'cryptoapi' and 'cryptoloop' modules loaded. When I give the appropriate (I think) mount command, I get this:

    Code:
    sybren $ sudo mount -t ext2 /mnt/thumb/knoppix.img knoppix/home -o encryption=aes,keybits=256
    Password: (I type my passphrase here)
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
           or too many mounted file systems
    AES encryption is supported by my kernel, since if I change it to something else, I get:

    Code:
    sybren $ sudo mount -t ext2 /mnt/thumb/knoppix.img knoppix/home -o encryption=aes256,keybits=256
    The cipher does not exist, or a cipher module needs to be loaded into the kernel
    ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument
    Does anyone know how I can access my stick on a non-knoppix system?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    4
    Doesn't any of the smart brains around here know of the answer?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1

    Workaround

    I had this same problem. I found out things worked just fine if I created the encryption in Gentoo and then mounted it with Knoppix. Something must be screwy on one of those sides, but I'm not sure who is to blame. Best of luck.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    4
    Thanks for the tip!

Similar Threads

  1. Booting via PXE: Unable to mount NFS share
    By asdf in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 06:18 PM
  2. Unable to mount /dev/app/1 [solution]
    By garbas in forum Klik
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 04:19 PM
  3. unable to mount /mnt/app/1
    By NepoMUC in forum Klik
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM
  4. Unable to Mount Hard Drive Please Help
    By ajonline in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 01:14 AM
  5. Unable to mount cdrom drives.
    By rbivins in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 03:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$334.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK

$285.99



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad X13 Gen 1 i5-10310U 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$222.99



Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch picture

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch

$379.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win11 Pro

$289.99