Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Can't find Knoppix filesystem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    Can't find Knoppix filesystem

    I have a functioning Knoppix CD which I frequently use in my (relatively) new P4 system.

    However, I recently made a boot floppy to use this same CD in my ten year old Pentium MMX system (which can't boot from CD).

    Everything seems to work fine, as Knoppix finds my SCSI Plextor CD-ROM and uses fdomain.o, but it then scans multiple directories and gives me the error "Can't find Knoppix filesystem..." and something about a "(very limited) shell".

    Any thoughts?

    BTW, I'm new to Linux and Knoppix...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    I know that you say you have a functioning knoppix cd, but you ought nevertheless to check the integrity of the disk. Try booting from the computer that works, but boot with the following cheat code: knoppix testcd

    The only other thing I can think of is if your mmx machine as a really small amount of ram.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    Used testcd cheat code, and everything checked out ok.

    The MMX machine has 96Mb of RAM...

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    Being new... does the lack of replies indicated that:

    (1) I've posted this in the wrong place

    (2) This is a silly question that's been rehashed dozens of times, or

    (3) Nobody has any insight as to what's wrong with my system...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 3.3 and KnoppMyth

    I also have this error. I tried Knoppix 3.3 on a machine at work, and got this error. A week later, I tried to install KnoppMyth on a computer at home and got the same error. I don't know what version Knoppix KnoppMyth is based on, but the only similarity I found between the two installs was both computers are Dells. One a Dimension 4400 & the other a Precision 450.

    I did some research:
    http://www.knoppix-std.org/faq.html
    and found this:
    I get the error “Can't find Knoppix filesystem.” then it drops me to a “limited shell”. What the hell?
    This means you are not using a SCSI or IDE CDROM drive. After Syslinux starts up the first thing Knoppix wants to do is find and uncompress the filesystem (that big KNOPPIX file on the CD). Knoppix only probes for the CD on all SCSI and IDE buses. If it can't find it you'll get the error above.

    For Transmeta laptops and some Sonys with PCMCIA cd drives try:

    knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia
    Now I'm a bit confused, because both of my machines have the standard CDROM on the IDE bus. So, I don't get it. Maybe a problem with dells?

    Hope that helps.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
    By boomer777 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2005, 10:26 PM
  2. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem 3.7 vs 3.4
    By mariuss in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 02:48 AM
  3. can't find Knoppix filesystem
    By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
  4. Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By pskipw in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:16 AM
  5. can't find KNOPPIX filesystem
    By sfit in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2004, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99