-
Can't find Knoppix filesystem
I have a functioning Knoppix CD which I frequently use in my (relatively) new P4 system.
However, I recently made a boot floppy to use this same CD in my ten year old Pentium MMX system (which can't boot from CD).
Everything seems to work fine, as Knoppix finds my SCSI Plextor CD-ROM and uses fdomain.o, but it then scans multiple directories and gives me the error "Can't find Knoppix filesystem..." and something about a "(very limited) shell".
Any thoughts?
BTW, I'm new to Linux and Knoppix...
-
Senior Member
registered user
I know that you say you have a functioning knoppix cd, but you ought nevertheless to check the integrity of the disk. Try booting from the computer that works, but boot with the following cheat code: knoppix testcd
The only other thing I can think of is if your mmx machine as a really small amount of ram.
-
Used testcd cheat code, and everything checked out ok.
The MMX machine has 96Mb of RAM...
-
Being new... does the lack of replies indicated that:
(1) I've posted this in the wrong place
(2) This is a silly question that's been rehashed dozens of times, or
(3) Nobody has any insight as to what's wrong with my system...
-
Knoppix 3.3 and KnoppMyth
I also have this error. I tried Knoppix 3.3 on a machine at work, and got this error. A week later, I tried to install KnoppMyth on a computer at home and got the same error. I don't know what version Knoppix KnoppMyth is based on, but the only similarity I found between the two installs was both computers are Dells. One a Dimension 4400 & the other a Precision 450.
I did some research:
http://www.knoppix-std.org/faq.html
and found this:
I get the error “Can't find Knoppix filesystem.” then it drops me to a “limited shell”. What the hell?
This means you are not using a SCSI or IDE CDROM drive. After Syslinux starts up the first thing Knoppix wants to do is find and uncompress the filesystem (that big KNOPPIX file on the CD). Knoppix only probes for the CD on all SCSI and IDE buses. If it can't find it you'll get the error above.
For Transmeta laptops and some Sonys with PCMCIA cd drives try:
knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia
Now I'm a bit confused, because both of my machines have the standard CDROM on the IDE bus. So, I don't get it. Maybe a problem with dells?
Hope that helps.
Similar Threads
-
By boomer777 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-11-2005, 10:26 PM
-
By mariuss in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-23-2005, 02:48 AM
-
By colonius in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-20-2004, 06:09 PM
-
By pskipw in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 06:16 AM
-
By sfit in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-18-2004, 05:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM Genuine 42Wh WDX0R For DELL Inspiron WDXOR Battery 15 5567 5568 13 5368 7368
$22.99

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

Genuine OEM 63Wh 7FMXV Battery For Dell Latitude 5320 7320 7420 7520 4M1JN TN2GY
$32.99

OEM Genuine 62WH 6MT4T Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y
$36.66

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

NEW OEM V6W33 Battery For Dell Inspiron 3510 5510 Latitude 3330 3320 Vostro 3515
$22.00

Lot of 5 Dell OEM 65W 7.4mm 19.5V 3.34A AC Adapters Mixed Models B Grade
$39.99

Genuine OEM 6GTPY 97Wh Battery for Dell XPS 15 7590, 9550 Series 5XJ28 GPM03 New
$33.50

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR
$37.40