Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Why is Knoppix the best?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157

    Why is Knoppix the best?

    Hi, I am really new to Linux, and I am having a problem.

    I have tried to install tons of different distros, all have been weird in their own ways. Only Red Hat and Mandrake installs are the ones that I can breeze through with only minor difficulty. Why isn't it this way with everyone? Is there some secret being held on to that only some are able to know?

    I am asking this question here only because Knoppix is the only one that I have used that did everything on its own!!! I didn't have to do a single thing to make it work. It even knew the number to my dsl isp!!! All I gave it was a username password!!! All other distros I have tried didn't get a single thing right!

    This is another thing I can't figure out. Knoppix is based on Debian. Knoppix was awesome, so I Downloaded all 7 isos of Debian and burned them. I tried to install it and it was one of the worst for installing!
    Yet Knoppix is based on it!!! What the heck?!!

    I don't know if this is a question or a rant or maybe something else, but can someone give me a hint on why this isn't a focus to most Linux Distributors? Only Knoppix made me want to try Linux. The rest are trying to catch up or just don't care. (BTW, I know that security is one of the main focuses, and you don't need to go on and on about it, it is just hard to emagine that ease of use isn't considered at all!!)

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    84
    I have been using Linux for more that three years now and am no expert. But after reading your post I decided to give my view on the situation.

    You are entering Linux at an exciting time. If you had tried installing Linux just a few years ago things would have looked very different. You would have found no graphical installation tool and KDE and Gnome would seem like toys. But things change very rapidly in the Linux world. This has put some of the older distros like Red Hat, Debian, Slackware, and SUSE in a position of catch up some of the time. While newer distros like Knoppix, Xandros, Libranet, Lycoris, and Lindows are all making major advances on the desktop.

    Now to try to answer your question about why the more user friendly distros are Debian based when Debian itself is perceived as the least user friendly. Many Debian developers consider it a point of pride that you must learn a lot about Linux and your computer in order to install their dirstro. This does not mean that Debian is not as good as other distros. The user friendly distros love using Debian as their base because the Debian packaging system is the best Linux has. As a test try to install something with an RPM and then do the same with a .deb and you will see what I mean. The Debian developers put a huge amount of effort into testing and categorizing all of their packages into unstable, testing, and stable releases. In my opinion the great contribution to the Linux masses by Debian is not their distribution (this is by design meant for computer enthusiast only) but it is their packaging and distribution system.

    Finally you ask why Knoppix is so great. I really don't know. Some how Knopper and the other great developers of Knoppix have come up with a system of auto configuration that even Windows can't beat. It will be interesting to see how long other distros take to catch up. I wonder what the most user friendly OS will be five years from now. That is what makes Linux so exciting, you never can tell!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    157
    Thanks for your input.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99