Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: PC does not shut down

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    24

    PC does not shut down

    I did a HD install and now when I try to shut down the system from KDE it just hangs when it says powering off. I tried holding in the power button but it does not shut down.

    I have a PII 300 on an intel sebx440 mobo and 192mb RAM....

    Any ideas? Anything else you need to help me?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    24
    If I hold the button long enough it will shut off once it says POWER DOWN but shouldn't it just shut itself off? When I was using Redhat it did on the same PC.

    Thanks

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: PC does not shut down

    Quote Originally Posted by Eradicator
    I did a HD install and now when I try to shut down the system from KDE it just hangs when it says powering off. I tried holding in the power button but it does not shut down.

    I have a PII 300 on an intel sebx440 mobo and 192mb RAM....

    Any ideas? Anything else you need to help me?

    Thanks
    You can try when you get to your LILO boot screen and type in linux noacpi to disable the ACPI power saving which is reacting badly with APM if this works when you shutdown then you would edit your /etc/lilo.conf and add that to the append= line so that it would look like append="noacpi another_option" and run /sbin/lilo to commit the changes.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    24
    Thanks

    I will give it a try. I am very very new to linux so I will have to work through those directions.

    Also I have 2 other OS's listed on my Lilo screen. I think they were previous Linux installs. Where would I delete them...in the lilo.conf file? Are they always located in a particular spot?

    What do you mean " run /sbin/lilo to commit the changes."?

    Do you mean type that in the console (run /sbin/lilo)?

    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. unmouting after shut down
    By serventofshelob in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 04:19 AM
  2. Knoppix 3.4 5-10 Won't Shut off PC
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 01:15 AM
  3. Computer does not completely shut down
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:34 PM
  4. Start Up and Shut Down
    By renaxgade in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2003, 10:59 PM
  5. Cannot get computer to shut down
    By PapaNoHair in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 07:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12 picture

SK Hynix Server Memory 32GB (1x32GB) RAM DDR4 2400MHz HMA84GR7MFR4N Lot of 12

$1599.99



Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1TI ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2R1TI ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$180.00



SAMSUNG 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q ECC REG Server Memory RAM picture

SAMSUNG 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2400T M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q ECC REG Server Memory RAM

$250.00



2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder picture

2 in 1 USB 3.0 Card Reader Micro TF card Reader usb adapter High Speed Cardreder

$3.99



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Lot 50x Samsung 32GB DDR4-2400T ECC 2Rx4 PC4-19200 M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q Server RAM picture

Lot 50x Samsung 32GB DDR4-2400T ECC 2Rx4 PC4-19200 M393A4K40BB1-CRC0Q Server RAM

$12750.00



SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM picture

SK Hynix 64B PC4-2933Y Server Memory DDR4 RAM HMAA8GR7MJR4N-WM

$499.99



 Kingston 16GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-2400T ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 RAM KSM24ED8/16ME | Tested picture

Kingston 16GB DDR4 2400MHz PC4-2400T ECC UDIMM 2Rx8 RAM KSM24ED8/16ME | Tested

$99.00



(LOT OF 18) Kingston 16GB PC3L-10600R DDR3L-1333 2rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM picture

(LOT OF 18) Kingston 16GB PC3L-10600R DDR3L-1333 2rx4 RDIMM ECC Server RAM

$180.00