-
Networking Knoppic (CD) and windows XP
Ok here's my issues,
A guya work with, his XP laptop has crashed and we NEED to get some files (about 1gig) off of it. When Xp loads, it goes straight to the blue screen of Death.
So I throw in Knoppix 3.2 Cd, boots up fine, I can see the files under the hard drive, BUT when I try to just connect using a cross over cable from the XP machine to the Knoppix I can't seem to get the machines to "show" a connection.
If I hardcode the IP's I am able to ping each other just fine, but I can't figure out how in the GUI screen how to view my XP laptop to the Knoppix laptop, any idea's? We need to get these files out before we format the damned XP box... Any help would be great, as well a littel more "Walk through" style instructions, since I haven't had the chance to play with knoppix much my self as I am never home on my Linux box...
-
You need to use a samba-client application. You could try this graphical program:
xfsamba
I think it's the only samba client delivered with knoppix
(but give xsmbrowser a try, maybe that works).
Step by step instructions:
Run command
Type xfsamba
Type you windows xp name in "location"
Click on the share you want to use and press the "Mount" button on the toolbar (a harddisk icon with a green V).
-
since you are using a cross over cable the knoppix dont get an IP from any dhcp source
configure the knoppix with IP manually and make it ping the other XP box
no spoon feeding here for configuring IP on knoppix
now your networking is ready between two boxes
click on the desktop the right drive/partition where your data is and get it mounted
all this on knoppix box
cd /etc
rm hosts.deny hosts.allow
cd /etc/init.d
./inetd restart
passwd knoppix
your knoppix ftp server is ready to accept connections
get a ftp client on XP box, either cuteFTP or wsFTP or any guiFTP client
connect to knoppix and drill inside the right partition and directory and pull your data onto the XP box
happy backup
-
Hopt this may help:
1. Connect the laptop to the network.
2. Start the laptop with knoppix CD
3. Open the Root Shell
4. type in:
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=xxx //servername/some_share /mnt/test
mkdir /mnt/test/laptop
cp -Rp /mnt/hda1/* /mnt/test/laptop
Similar Threads
-
By Phishman in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
-
By Jakykong in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 8
Last Post: 10-24-2004, 03:29 AM
-
By Case in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-08-2004, 03:11 PM
-
By JLocke in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
-
By Peterobe in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK
$285.99

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray
$356.80

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$242.00

Lenovo Thinkbook 14s Yoga ITL 14” Core i7-1165G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Touch
$379.00