Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Direct Rendering Working - Knoppix 3.3 - FGLRX 3.2.8

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2

    Direct Rendering Working - Knoppix 3.3 - FGLRX 3.2.8

    Hey All,

    I am fairly novice to linux but after installing knoppix 3.3 on my pentium 4,
    intel i850, radeon 7500 tx rig I installed the new fglrx drivers from ati
    version 3.28 and could not get direct rendering working for the life of me.

    After searching for help, I heard and saw on the net the same old ...
    (you should recompile the kernel jazz - I hate that line )

    So in my own nature I always try to find another way so after doing more
    searching I found a topic about modules in /lib/modules/fglrx
    so I check it out, and under /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod I ran make.sh
    which threw out some kernel incompatibility issues, but I knew that my kernel was up to spec anyhow so I opened up vim and set number and hit up some of the check lines for verifying the kernel.

    The result:
    Lines 200, 203, 210 should have hit=0 not hit=1
    Line 215 should have $hit -eq 1 not $hit -eq 0
    Lines 230 should have != "-DFIREGL_410"

    Also a line in the the /lib/modules/fglrx/make_install.sh
    needs to be edited I believe as well its just my notes are bad.

    Essentially any time you got a error exception in the build and install
    scripts make it think the opposite is true thereby bypassing the
    exceptions and forcing the build and install.

    Given that you have fglrxconfig already done and setup and fglrx working without direct rendering and with the module not recognizing after doing lsmod initially before this might work to get your problem fixed.

    Note I also beforehand did modprobe radeon as well as agpgart.

    As for I, glxinfo | grep rendering now echos out Direct Rendering: Yes,
    and it is sweet .

    This might be of no help too anyone but I figured it might be helpful to post my findings for my first post, and I love knoppix, it makes debian look so much nicer .

    - digitalpcht

    It might be vague and just a suggestion but I hope it helps.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    How much of a difference did it make in running glxgears vs the standard ati drivers?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2

    Well Here's What I Do Know

    What do you mean by standard ati drivers?
    Do you mean without direct rendering?
    If so it was seemingly like 1/10th (or so) the speed, can't rember exact number but it could be just my system or a fluke.
    (strange things happen). (oooooh scary).
    Also on a further note (Card = Radeon 9700 TX - Odd Radeon).
    So the performance might not be the same as one of the ol fandangled 9700 Pro's. Also on a last note, knoppix (prior to hd-install) always initially read my card as as a R300 base Radeon 9500.

    As far as current numbers for glxgears go:
    Running for a few secs nets me:
    17860 frames in 5.0 Seconds = 3572.00 Fps
    As far as current numbers for /usr/X11R6/bin/fgl_glxgears go:
    Running for a few secs nets me:
    1042 frames in 5.0 Seconds = 208.400 Fps

    This might not be what your looking for,
    but I hope it helps.

    - Digitalpcht

    PS: If one of you guys want's to hold on to em I can send the modified make.sh and make_install.sh just let me know.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    139
    Sorry, I mean the XFree86-drm drivers that knoppix automatically uses.

Similar Threads

  1. fglrx installation
    By splittik in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 10:28 PM
  2. Direct X 9 and WINE
    By gK Angel in forum Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 11:51 PM
  3. Version 3.7 vs. 3.6 font rendering
    By Robert A. in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 03:53 PM
  4. direct connect for knoppix 3.3
    By Marker in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 03:49 AM
  5. Direct users to Knoppix Forum
    By Tigren in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2002, 03:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$124.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00