or can anyone tell me how to give a user root access?
Hey guys,
I've got a problem, the inetd was running before and i was able to login as root so i was able to ftp to /var/www.
I had to restart my knoppix server (i've got a hdd install) and inetd was not working anymore.
So i deleted hosts.allow/deny and it worked again, but there was one problem:
I can't login as root anymore.
and when i login as knoppix i only see 3 directories and can't get to /var/wwwCode:421-Server disabled. 421 Reason: Root login not allowed.
I really need to get there cause there is my current website located
Someone any idea how to solve this by ssh?
I can't get to my knoppix server as it is in a other country.
Thanks in advance.
Michael
or can anyone tell me how to give a user root access?
most likey the location is /etc
there should be file /etc/ftp.users
edit this file and delete the line with "root"
this file restricts the users mentioned in them
delete user root and save the file and you are all set
happy ftp'ing
--Actually it is /etc/ftpusers.
--Note: You really DO NOT WANT to be able to login as root over ftp. This allows your box to be easily hacked if it IS enabled.
--If you need root access to anything, login as a regular user over ssh and su. You maybe able to edit the /etc/proftpd.conf file (or whatever the name is, I switched to vsftpd so not sure anymore) to redefine the default ftp dir.
Originally Posted by certifieduser
thanks a lot for your reaction.
I tried but didn't work, it works for other users but root is still not allowed.
I have a serious problem now i was developing a website and has to be done before the 12th of november please help!
Thanks in advance,
michael
Thanks!
It worked after set DO_CHROOT="no" in /etc/bftpd.conf
Thanks a lot!

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00
Seagate Exos X16 ST10000NM010G 10TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e/4Kn HDD
$199.00
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2TB 2.5in SATA Internal HDD ST2000NX0403
$60.00
Sun Oracle 7357761 14TB 7.2K 3.5 12G SAS-3 HDD Hard Disc Drive w/ Coral Bracket
$249.99
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99