or can anyone tell me how to give a user root access?
Hey guys,
I've got a problem, the inetd was running before and i was able to login as root so i was able to ftp to /var/www.
I had to restart my knoppix server (i've got a hdd install) and inetd was not working anymore.
So i deleted hosts.allow/deny and it worked again, but there was one problem:
I can't login as root anymore.
and when i login as knoppix i only see 3 directories and can't get to /var/wwwCode:421-Server disabled. 421 Reason: Root login not allowed.
I really need to get there cause there is my current website located
Someone any idea how to solve this by ssh?
I can't get to my knoppix server as it is in a other country.
Thanks in advance.
Michael
or can anyone tell me how to give a user root access?
most likey the location is /etc
there should be file /etc/ftp.users
edit this file and delete the line with "root"
this file restricts the users mentioned in them
delete user root and save the file and you are all set
happy ftp'ing
--Actually it is /etc/ftpusers.
--Note: You really DO NOT WANT to be able to login as root over ftp. This allows your box to be easily hacked if it IS enabled.
--If you need root access to anything, login as a regular user over ssh and su. You maybe able to edit the /etc/proftpd.conf file (or whatever the name is, I switched to vsftpd so not sure anymore) to redefine the default ftp dir.
Originally Posted by certifieduser
thanks a lot for your reaction.
I tried but didn't work, it works for other users but root is still not allowed.
I have a serious problem now i was developing a website and has to be done before the 12th of november please help!
Thanks in advance,
michael
Thanks!
It worked after set DO_CHROOT="no" in /etc/bftpd.conf
Thanks a lot!

Genuine IBM ThinkPad Trackpoint Tip Cap Pack 91P8421 NEW OLD STOCK -SEALED - OEM
$8.88
Vintage IBM 5140 PC Convertible Power Supply AC Adapter Charger 2684292 OEM
$39.99
IBM 5763-SS1 R02M00 AS/400 Cumulative PTFS Operating System/400 V3 LOT 6 OEM New
$999.99
2025 NEW Genuine OEM BATTERY for IBM 00Y4643 00Y4594 90Y7689 90Y7632 V3700 V3500
$119.00
IBM 6450350 OEM PS/2 2-Button Ball Mouse NEW NOS Made in Japan
$19.99
IBM OEM Genuine 1969-009 CD Driver Untested As PARTS. Read Description.
$32.99
IBM Face Plate for OEM IMI 5012H 10MB MFM 5.25" Full Height Hard Disk Drive
$29.99
IBM OEM Genuine 1969-010 CD Driver Untested
$40.49
IBM Genuine OEM Network Printer 12 Toner Cartridge 63H3005 Printer Ink - NEW
$119.58
Lot of 12 Genuine IBM 1299790 Quietwriter Non-Correcting Ribbons Indelible NOS
$129.99