Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Need scsi.o and sd.o for KNOPPIX kernel 2.4.22-xfs

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57

    Need scsi.o and sd.o for KNOPPIX kernel 2.4.22-xfs

    For a little more background: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25463

    I'm trying to install KNOPPIX to my nift WD Raptor hard drive. I am currently using a Promise SATA150 TX4 controller card, which is not directly supported. Promise has released the source code of a Linux driver and I have managed to get it compiled.

    With the modules-disk cheatcode in KNOPPIX 3.3, I am hoping that I can just put this driver on a floppy and have KNOPPIX pick it up during boot, so that it detects my hard drive. According the the driver's README, I need to load scsi.o and sd.o before I attempt to load the module for this controller.

    Looking at the kernel config file, I see (:/boot/config-2.4.22-xfs)

    # SCSI support
    CONFIG_SCSI=y

    # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

    I haven't compiled a kernel is quite some time. Is it safe to assume that these two settings control the "destiny" of scsi.o and sd.o? That is, can I assume these drivers are built into the kernel (=y)and not built as modules(=m)? What is my best option for getting the scsi.o and sd.o files I need to load my controller driver?/boot/config-2.4.22-xfs

    Thanks in advance!

    -SUO

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Need scsi.o and sd.o for KNOPPIX kernel 2.4.22-xfs

    --You are correct, those two features will be hardwired into the kernel rather than loaded as modules. Now all you have to do with experiment with the modules-disk cheatcode. If you can't get anywhere with it, you could try emailing Klaus, but I'd use that only as a last resort.

    Quote Originally Posted by SUOrangeman
    For a little more background: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25463

    I'm trying to install KNOPPIX to my nift WD Raptor hard drive. I am currently using a Promise SATA150 TX4 controller card, which is not directly supported. Promise has released the source code of a Linux driver and I have managed to get it compiled.

    With the modules-disk cheatcode in KNOPPIX 3.3, I am hoping that I can just put this driver on a floppy and have KNOPPIX pick it up during boot, so that it detects my hard drive. According the the driver's README, I need to load scsi.o and sd.o before I attempt to load the module for this controller.

    Looking at the kernel config file, I see (:/boot/config-2.4.22-xfs)

    # SCSI support
    CONFIG_SCSI=y

    # SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
    CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

    I haven't compiled a kernel is quite some time. Is it safe to assume that these two settings control the "destiny" of scsi.o and sd.o? That is, can I assume these drivers are built into the kernel (=y)and not built as modules(=m)? What is my best option for getting the scsi.o and sd.o files I need to load my controller driver?/boot/config-2.4.22-xfs

    Thanks in advance!

    -SUO

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    57
    With the module for my controller and the modules-disk cheat code, my hard drive wasn't detected. I'll go back to my HD-installed machine at work and just compile the key kernel directories to get scsi.o and sd.o as modules. I ultimately need to get these files in an initrd, so I'm not sure if having support built into a kernel will help me.

    -SUO

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    13
    this is just a point, and i maybe pointing out something you know, sorry. But it's something i thought might be important.
    I've noticed, i think.. that they run "ide as scsi" drivers for some devices maybe that is something that could be used to call your promise drivers? also i guess you've realized how diff versions of the knoppix kernel are compressed with diff versions of Cloop.. at least an older version I was trying to re-master had that problem, I had to de-compress it with older cloop's.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems with botting using Knoppix 3.8.1 in scsi pc
    By javiergp in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 04:22 PM
  2. Knoppix on SCSI HD
    By kwh2999 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 07:58 PM
  3. SATA and SCSI, SCSI not detected
    By geoffleach in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 10:02 PM
  4. SCSI cd-rom ==> Could not find kernel image: noscsi
    By Moozie in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2003, 07:14 PM
  5. Kernel Panic: Cannot mount root-fs (SCSI driver missing)
    By ullmanns in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-08-2003, 03:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99