Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: I've broken KDE - how to get it back?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145

    I've broken KDE - how to get it back?

    Right. The idea was to get transcode working by installing an earlier version of limlcms (1.08-3 rather than the currently installed 1.10-1). I couldn't do this so I attempted to remove the current version.

    Can't that option 'automatically assume yes' - be dangerous!!!! It stripped all of the K desktop apps out, everything. I'm left with some basic desktop application that is letting me run this (fast without KDE isn't it?)

    Any idea how I can get back to what I had? - I think personal files are still present as some directories were flagged as 'not empty' and not removed....

    Meantime I'll try whatever I can.....

    Ta very much, Stu.....

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    The default basic desktop I have running is Window Maker.

    I miss Kmail!!!!

    Stu.....

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Great, I even managed to let dselect overwrite my /etc/apt/sources.list - lucky the system keeps a backup as 'sources.list~'

    Everything is working without KDE running, does this mean that KDE really is just an 'application launcher'??????

    Stu.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    In the first post I think I should have referred to 'liblcms'

    I'm currently downloading KDE 3.1.4 (unstable) but using plain 'dpkg -i' to try and get this loaded (kdelibs et al). comes back with conflicts with the previous version (stable).

    At the moment 'apt-get -f install' seems to be fixing this problem.

    Crikey, wish I knew what I was doing! Stu.....

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    I am not sure what you did to kill KDE, but getting it back should NOT include using FORCE/OVERRIDE options on package tools. These options should not even exist in my opinion. I am thinking that your rpm/apt/dpkg database is so screwed up by now that it might just be worth a re-install.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by stukennedyuk
    In the first post I think I should have referred to 'liblcms'

    I'm currently downloading KDE 3.1.4 (unstable) but using plain 'dpkg -i' to try and get this loaded (kdelibs et al). comes back with conflicts with the previous version (stable).

    At the moment 'apt-get -f install' seems to be fixing this problem.

    Crikey, wish I knew what I was doing! Stu.....
    You may find this link usefull.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    The kde-core meta package from the unstable distribution would have helped. I followed the instruction on the kde website for installion, and doenloaded the kde libs etc, etc.

    It's clear to me that Linux is working fine and that everything is as it should be to at least the bootmisc.sh script which runs as late as 'S55' in rcS.d (confirmation is I added a firewall script to this which loads okay).

    But..... I now get dropped to a login prompt and have to use 'startx' to load kde.....

    I cannot seems to find where I should be logged in and Xwindows/KDE start automatically.....

    This is in effect a standard Debian install now, not Knoppix. I expect I could find and fix the broken parts of kde, but I'm stuck with the missing debian bits at the moment.

    I'll try some more googling if not success then backup my personal stuff, the extra scripts in init.d and re-install...... doh!

    Stu.....

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    145
    Nuts! I backed up the contents of my /home/ folder (particularly the mail directory) and some of my modified scripts in /etc/init.d and did a fresh install!

    I noticed when Knoppix was booting the the Xwindows is invoked by:-

    /etc/init.d/xsession start

    -but not which script issued this command.

    .....well, all good experience.....!

    I'm back, but transcode still will not install because of dependancies!!!!!

    Thanks for the help! Stuart.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by stukennedyuk
    I'm back, but transcode still will not install because of dependancies!!!!!
    Go to http://marillat.free.fr

    Add his sources to your /etc/apt/sources.list

    Do and apt-get update

    Then do:

    Code:
    apt-get -t unstable install transcode
    That should solve your dependency problems w/o removing KDE or other needed stuff.

Similar Threads

  1. I'm Back...
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-30-2004, 05:35 AM
  2. How to get Alt-F2 back?
    By Craig2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 02:22 PM
  3. How do i get back into KDE?
    By dtk in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 02:58 PM
  4. 9/05/03 too many broken things, rolling back to 4/5/03
    By beforewisdom in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 02:17 AM
  5. CD to HDD and back again
    By spreadthecream in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2003, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00