-
Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?
I am new on linux. Trying to run knoppix 3.2 and 3.3 on my inspiron 5150 I find the same problem.
Also tried with linuxin and failed.
With debian the install program can't find the files rescue.bin and drivers.tgz on the cd1
Worth asking to Dell support?
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?

Originally Posted by
yellowtrolley
I am new on linux. Trying to run knoppix 3.2 and 3.3 on my inspiron 5150 I find the same problem.
Also tried with linuxin and failed.
With debian the install program can't find the files rescue.bin and drivers.tgz on the cd1
Worth asking to Dell support?
man, at the prompt, try typing this command:
knoppix no apic
and see what happends
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?

Originally Posted by
yellowtrolley
I am new on linux. Trying to run knoppix 3.2 and 3.3 on my inspiron 5150 I find the same problem.
Also tried with linuxin and failed.
I don't follow. You can boot Knoppix but the install fails?
With debian the install program can't find the files rescue.bin and drivers.tgz on the cd1
When you say 'with Debian' do you ,mean you are trying to install Debian from cd or are you still trying to install Knoppix?
Worth asking to Dell support?
Hmm- I highly doubt that the idiots (er um technicians) at Dell know or even care at all about Linux but it won't cost anything to find out.
-
Re: Does anyone know how install linux on Inspiron5150?

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Hmm- I highly doubt that the idiots (er um technicians) at Dell know or even care at all about Linux but it won't cost anything to find out.
Linux User: "Yeah, I'm having a problem with Linux."
Dell: "With what?"
Linux User: "Linux... you know.. the big competitor to microsoft?"
Dell: "Oh, sorry. We don't support anything but windows." <click>
Happend to my friend, not 2 days ago.
Similar Threads
-
By clarjon1 in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-13-2005, 08:45 PM
-
By ramaswamyps in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-05-2005, 01:42 AM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 12:24 AM
-
By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:29 PM
-
By dreamer1201 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*
$785.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz
$380.00

SK Hynix 256GB (4x64GB) DDR4 3200MHz PC4-25600 ECC RDIMM 288-Pin Workstation RAM
$1950.00